Thursday, December 22, 2005

On the Other Side

Ok, I need all your help. Everywhere 'national' that I turn for news about Katrina displays things about New Orleans. The levees and things like that. I never see anything national about Mississippi. Maybe its because I live here and I'm greatly affected, but that disturbs me in some ways. I hear about the levees breaking, I saw the pictures of the flooding. I read that N.O. didn't get the worst of the storm. So what about us that did? We may not have had the extensiveness of flooding as N.O., we may not have had levees that broke, but we did have severe damage. Houses completely wiped out. Gone. All that is left is a slab. Some houses still standing but completely gutted out. Now, N.O. had damage but alot of their flooding was because the levees broke (and how this is a problem with our government is beyond me, but that is a whole different point). They broke because of the storm, I know, because of the surge, wind, etc. But all of the damage hear was natural. No broken levees to cause flooding, it just flooded due to the surge. Anyway, I get tired of seeing N.O. in the headlines all the time. Now our local news, I get plenty of coverage. But what I want to know is what you all see where you are. Do you mostly see New Orleans, or do you still see things about Mississippi too? Inquiring minds want to know!

4 comments:

DDanielle said...

I think your obersvation is valid. In the begining the news outlets did devote time to other areas, however now all I hear and see about is NO. I have been there twice and feel sentimental about it....however I agree that there are other stories out there and they should cover them. Actally this is why I am so interested in your blog because I see the other side (well other than I remember you from His House retreats and you are Amie's sister in law;-). So keep your information comming we got to get the other side of the story from somewhere:-)

Amie said...

I think the coverage overall is diminishing, but what I do see is usually about New Orleans.

Choppzs said...

Yeah, I would have to say the majority is about New Orleans! The only town I ever hear about in Mississippi is the one on Good Morning America (the town they adopted Pas Christian, or something like that lol)

Jamie said...

ddk23- I'm glad you come to my blog. I have been to yours a few times since seeing you comment on mine and I think I have put a face to your name! Thanks for visiting my site;)

amie- It is not diminishing here. In ways I wish they would quit talking about it for once. It seems like all the local news is just consumed with it still!

choppz- I don't watch Good Morning America, but I think I did hear that somebody that works there grew up in Pass Christian and that GMA had come down or something.