Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Ever Feel Like Chopped Liver?

Well, today I decided to take the little ones to a playgroup on the base. This is not an easy task, especially when they meet at 9:30 and I live about 20 minutes away from base. I decided to go because I know the lady who 'runs' it and she has invited me numerous times. They were also supposed to be having some sort of 'lessons' on knitting or crocheting and I'm trying to learn how to knit. So, I decided I would drag my butt out of bed early, fight with the kids and be out the door at 9! I'm usually not even showered by then! But, it was a fairly smooth morning.

I almost get hit by some old people on my way there, not once but twice. I haven't been to an actual 'base' playgroup in awhile. I went religiously in Minot when H was a baby and would sometimes go in North Carolina. I was feeling a bit apprehensive but was excited, if nothing else, to get some pointers on knitting. Plus, my friend Canaan was going, so I would know two people- her and Robin, the lady who 'runs' it.

I am making this quite long...sorry:) So, I am walking in and there is another lady with her baby walking. She says hi and holds the door for me and my 3 children. I walk into the room and there are mostly little toddling babies all about. No problem, after all one of mine is a toddling baby. So, I stand there, as other ladies are, waiting for somebody to introduce themselves or something. I stand...and stand...let the baby out...stand...plaster a fake smile...talk to my children...fake smile... By this time I am wanting to know where the nearest phone is to tell Zach to come and rescue me on his lunch break (his lunch is at 10:15). Finally Canaan and her children arrive! Phew. Now that there's 2 of us somebody will surely come and say hi. Well, we stand, fake smile...You get the idea. Normally I am one to just start talking to somebody, given their body language or something about them is inviting, but they were not even acknowledging that we were there in any way! It didn't take long for us to decide to just head to the nearest playland with our children. They must be officers wives and I must have ENLISTED written all over me or something. It was pretty rude and ridiculous. We won't be attending that playgroup again!

As we were getting our things together to leave (meaning gathering our brood of children), Robin walked in. I don't think she saw me, otherwise I know she would have said hello. I didn't stick around for her to see me, but tried to squeeze out before she could and before I was more embarrassed than I already felt (and she is NOT an officer wife!). And dear Canaan gave me a few knitting pointers as we watched our brood get all full of germs on the playland;)

But, what a way to feel like chopped liver...

4 comments:

Amie said...

Thats awful! I have been in similar situations and it does make you feel like crap.

By the way, how did you delete a comment on your previous post?

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie--It's Angie!
I can so understand what you are talking about. You know me, I am more than willing to say hello, but that uncomfortable feeling that comes over you in a new-new place is horrible. I can't believe someone didn't say hello at least. I sure do like the ladies in our community playgroups and things--some military others are not and I love that blend. It's not about who makes what money or rank.
Angie

eyes_only4him said...

hi..saw your thing on my map..lol..

I have been there too...uggg...

thanks for stopping by..:)

Choppzs said...

Hey,
I totally know what you are talking about. I had had lots of situations with the "Officer's Wives" thing! lol I hate saying it like that, but when you have experienced it you know!! I always felt so out of place going to functions with my Key Volunteer group, considering I was 1 of only 3 enlisted wives, and all the rest were officer's wives. But that's ok, I was the coordinator of our group, which put me "techinically" over them anyways, no matter what their husband's rank!! hehehehehe