Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Trash

I have always had this 'struggle' with the trash. In my mind it is a man's job to take out the trash, so I always harp, nag or get frustrated when its well overdue and I can't stick another thing in the can. For the past year, at least, I have struggled with wanting to be a help meet to my husband by doing the trash myself (I have struggled with being a help meet since Day 1 of marriage, in this I'm referring to the trash). I know that it would be a great help to him. And I know that I am his help meet, not the other way around. But knowing this and acting upon it are two entirely different things. I have this good book called Created to be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl (www.nogreaterjoy.com). It took forever for me to read it as it was very convicting. I recommend it, but be careful! It will change you, even if its little baby step changes, like with me. One of the first chapters dealt with the trash issue and I knew if I was convicted on that 'little' thing that I was in trouble for what was yet to come;) I have many areas that need work, as we all do, in regards to being the type of wife the Lord is wanting me to be. Anyway, this is about the trash...

Zach has never cared for our garbage can. He wants a big hefty size one. We had one once, when we lived in North Dakota. It was nice. We put in the the basement-way, so it didn't look hideous in our kitchen. Well, we have three additions to our family since that garbage can, and no longer do we have a basement. Yesterday the spring on the lid of the garbage can fell somewhere inside of it. Now it doesn't close all the way, although it mostly does. Zach thought this was a great time to get that big hefty garbage can he's been wanting. I fussed and cried. I said there is no way a garbage can like that is going in my kitchen! He said he'd put it in the garage. Not a bad idea, but every time I need to throw something away I don't want to go to the garage! I like the convenience of my garbage can in my kitchen, especially when I'm cooking. We went to Wal-Mart to see what was available and couldn't agree so walked out empty handed. Zach hates having to do the garbage pretty much every day or every other day. He thinks that with one of those big ones he won't have to take it out as often, but it stinks bad enough now at times (poopy diapers), imagine letting it sit for a day or two longer! I keep saying that with 5 of us in the house there is going to be more garbage, and wait until we have 14 in the house (he wants 12 kids)! The garbage will need to be changed daily! But, by that time it will be one of the children's responsibilities.

So, on our way from Wal-Mart I broke my anti-trash barrier. I told him if we could get one of the dainty, regular kitchen garbage cans that I would take the trash out. I did it! I guess if that is what its gonna take for me to get my act together and do the trash like I've been convicted to do to help my husband (and also to get a regular garbage can), then by golly I better just shut up and do the trash myself!

Note: I am not saying all you ladies need to take your trash out:) This is something that *I* have been convicted upon and I'm not saying all ladies need to do this!

3 comments:

Choppzs said...

I think men are just mentally challenged when it comes to taking out the garbage!! Ours(like yours) could be overflowing onto the floor and the kids playing in gross stuff, and he still would not think to take it out. It has gotten much better since I have been pregnant,and have the sensitive nose, but mostly I also take out the trash. I am just sick of bitching to him about it (excuse the language). So anyways to help myself out a step more, I put another trash can outside my backdoor for dirty diapers so that way I don't have to smell them in my kitchen! lol Then Chris takes that trash out periodically since it doesn't fill up as fast as the kitchen one!

Me said...

Ditto to what sissy said. Ryan doesn't do it either. He did, however, empty the diaper pail the other day, so brownie points for that.

Risa said...

Yep! I have the problem here too! :) Bob asks how WE (meaning the 2 kids and I) can have so much trash! Like he doesn't ever make a contribution to it either! I think men just have trash goggles on, they think the can is empty until its flowing all over the floor then they ask how it got this way and "How am I supposed to get the bag out of here when you pack it so full!?" Don't worry ladies, you aren't alone- and neither are our men! :) I usually just end up taking it out myself to avoid the conflict!