Thursday, October 19, 2006

Rambling Thoughts

So much has been going on and I have so many thoughts running through my head that I am not sure where to begin... I guess I will begin with the most exciting news first and then hope I don't forget the other rambling thoughts floating through my brain.

Tuesday night my friend called to say she was definitely in labor. About an hour later they called back and said that I'd better get on over there. They were having a home birth and wanted me there to watch the other two children, who are two and four years old. So, I prayed like crazy while driving over there, just for God's hand upon Heather and their child about to come forth. Their precious little girl arrived about an hour after I arrived! Heather only pushed two to three times and it just seemed like the babe gracefully flowed out of her with such ease (although I'm sure Heather will beg to differ). I just know that when I push (on my back) it seems to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r. But she was leaning over a birthing chair not laying like they make you do in the hospital! They were all so excited. The kids were a bit freaked out for a little while, but once they saw the baby they were awed. The four year old kept telling Heather what to do, like she wasn't nursing right and all! It was too cute! Already the protective big brother! That experience for me to be there and help them however they needed and to see such a miracle is one I will never forget! I am so thankful that they allowed me to be a part of such a special time for their family!

On another exciting note,
Amie and her family will be here today! The kids are SO excited to see their cousins! Zach is thrilled to see Miah and is hoping to kick his butt as they spar. I am looking forward to visiting with Amie. We always have such a nice time visiting. I also can't wait to meet Jonah and see how much the other boys have grown.

Have you ever heard of the word "teetee"? I am assuming it is because I am not southern that I don't know this word, because I never heard it until I moved down here. I guess it means "peepee" or potty. When one lady asked me something about teetee at Cubbies and I gave her a blank expression I think she thought I was crazy for not knowing what she was talking about! Just more proof to show my roots are firmly planted elsewhere!

I am reading this awesome book called,
"For the Children's Sake" by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay. It is awesome! So many wonderful ideas and most things I already know, but sometimes we need reminding in areas. She talks alot about Charlotte Mason and how school doesn't have to be about workbooks and sitting for hours. I think children today really lack the creativity that we had as kids. We can't allow them to ride their bikes all over the neighborhood for fear of pedophiles or bad influences. I rode my bike everywhere and as I did I loved to pretend I was driving on a road and I'd go to McDonald's (for pretend) and get ice cream or go and get gas. What about making a fort or tent with blankets? I don't know that my kids have ever done this! Our children are given so many toys that it seems they don't have time to explore and just imagine. I am working on trying to let them have more creative play. Zach is building them a fort. I wish we had trees for them to explore for bugs, nests, etc. Anyway, I highly encourage you to read this book!

Yesterday while doing school H says to me, "I'm sorry, I really have to go to the restroom." She got up and walked out. She was so matter-of-fact about the whole thing and I sat there with my mouth hanging open wondering where she learned to talk like that! I guess from her homeschool co-op or something! Most kids I come in contact with down here have such manners. Please, yes ma'am, no thank you, etc. It is weird because where I come from we didn't have that. It is difficult for me to have my children say ma'am and sir! But, they are in the habit of saying Mr. or Mrs. before they say an adults first name (most of the time). Then while riding in the car yesterday H was asking about babies and how cute she and her brothers were as babies. She asked what I looked like as a baby and I told her that I was cute, of course! I said, 'Aren't I pretty now? So that would have to mean I was a cute baby!' She replied with, 'Yes, you are pretty but you don't wear dresses very often. Why do you only wear dresses on Sunday? Can you wear a dress tomorrow?'. I busted out laughing! Guess maybe she thinks a woman isn't pretty unless she wears a dress!?!? So, I put on my skort for her today and she smiled when I told her I wore it for her!

H and J went to the dentist yesterday and were complimented on their 'perfect' behavior. J had x-rays for the first time and did wonderfully! He told me in the car on the way home, 'The dentist said not to suck my thumb anymore so I'm not going to.' Well, I already saw the boy sucking his thumb at naptime...

G loves to help mama. He helps put the dishes away, put clothes away, put shoes away. The only thing is he will not pick up toys! We have to fight this boy! He loves the mutt to pieces and will play with him, lay on him, etc all day long! Wish I had such enthusiasm for the mutt, but I am still not fond of him...

Anyway, I will try to post some pictures from when my mom was here now...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teetee - that's funny. My Grandma on my Dad's side used to say that.

LOL about Hannah and the "Restroom." Brady has been saying "No thank you" a lot lately and I was impressed by that. :)

Can't wait to see your pictures.

Jamie said...

Well for some reason Picasa keeps burping on me when I try to post the pictures so I'll have to try another time... Gotta love computers!

BekahJoy said...

i know what you mean about the manners. Up north, in school i just addressed the teachers with yes and no. but down here its like disrepectful if you don't say 'yes ma'am, no sir' etc. Its hard for me to remember lol.

Bethany said...

I grew up saying "tee tee". I guess it must be southern. I never thought anything of it! My kids never said it though!

I grew up saying "ma'am" and "sir". I would have been considered extremely ill-bred if I had not. But believe it or not it's relaxed a bit since then. It wasn't important to me to teach my kids to say it to begin with. But after I became a teacher, I noticed a distinct difference in the children who were taught to say it and the ones who were not. The kids who said "yes ma'am" were more polite and respectful all around.

I decided to work on it with my kids. They are really good at saying it now.

I know it's a southern thing still. I'm not saying people who don't teach their kids to say "ma'am" and "sir" do not raise polite kids...it's just something I noticed here. I guess it's part of teaching manners down here....and a parent who is southern, and teaching manners, just naturally teaches it to their children. :D

Marla said...

How cool that you were present at your friend's homebirth!! Birth is such a miracle, yet at the same time, a natural, normal process! Hope you enjoy the visit with your relatives!

Me said...

Hope you all and Amie's family had a fun time!!!!

Congratulations to your friend. How exciting!