Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Trying not to freak out

I'm really trying to not freak out.  Our finances are such a mess.  We've been so broke the past couple of months.  Zach has needed tires for his car so got two with the last paycheck and he still needs two more!  Christmas is coming up.  We're only going to be able to spend $50 on each child this year, which in some ways seems like a lot of money but considering how expensive everything is it's not much.  And I know Christmas is more than presents, but I hate not being able to afford to give my children things, ya know?  Then yesterday we got our statement for our what our new payment will be now that our taxes are kicking in.  It is not pretty, folks.  It's almost double of what we're currently paying.  Zach wonders why I worry and says he doesn't worry at all.  He also doesn't do the bills!  So please pray for us.  Pray for wisdom as I really somehow need to grasp what to do with our  money- how to stretch it better.  I've even considered doing childcare in my home or something but I seriously don't know how I would do that!  I know we get a pay raise in January but I doubt it will be much.  UGH, I hate dealing with money!!!  On the other hand, there have been instances where God has really been blessing us at the same time!  He is so good and I know He'll never leave us destitute or hungry.  I know He is trying to grow my trust in Him even more, but boy it is stretching in SO many ways!

9 comments:

Sherry said...

I worry about money too, but I also pay the bills. I've offered to hand the job over but Paul isn't interested. Have you ever tried living on a budget? They say it works but I have never tried to do it.
Sherry

Sherry said...

By the way, it's nice to see you blogging again!

Amie said...

A budget, every dollar needs a name.

Becca said...

Jamie, is before or after school childcare an option for you? Lots of people pay very inflated rates at daycare facilities for their school kids. You could check around your neighborhood and see if anyone needs you....I know some people spend like $10 an hour for something like this and it's only an hour or so before and/or after school. You could even have several kids from different families...easy way to make $100+ a week.

About Christmas....we don't normally spend even that much on our kids and they never seem to feel slighted...and it's not because we can't afford it, but more because it's so ridiculous how stores pressure you to spend so much money...so not the reason for the season.

DDanielle said...

I'll keep you in my prayers....is there any way to get the kids involved? Like in helping with cutting coupons (if you do that, and they don't help already now). Why you wouldn't want them to worry about finances....they may have some creative ways to save....you never know.
Of course this coming from me who last night went out to buy pillow pets because her son "really really wanted one"!
shutting mouth now...praying:-)

I am OK said...

So tough - I feel your pain. Prayers being added to the list :D

Our4Monkeys said...

I think we could sit down and do some of the Dave Ramsey budgeting stuff with you guys before you try to do daycare or anything. I really think you guys could do it without you working...?

Kim said...

Dont feel bad. Your not the only one. It seems impossible to save money for Christmas. Seems like we're putting money here and there. Im sure your kids will have a great Christmas anyway. It also seems like no matter what or how you try avoid this every year, its always seems like you never have enough money around this time of year. Man thats gotts stink for your payment to go up. Thats a huge chunk of change for it to go up. God will take care of you guys he always does right? But I know what you mean its hard not to worry. Prayers for you guys

Darlene said...

Look at where your money is going and cut out the unnecessary expenses being made. Snacks, pop, movie rentals all add up. Also hand over the bills to the man of the house whether he wants them or not and he can stress about them instead of you.