Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Nothing New...

Not much has been happening here lately, so I haven't really had anything to write about.

Larry flew back home on Friday. We had a nice visit and they did a lot of work on the house. I even got a new kitchen sink! I absolutely love it! My other sink wasn't very deep, so I went on the deep end and got an extra deep one! You can see it
here. Now to paint the kitchen walls...

Since Larry left I figure I'd get G used to his bed. He would never sleep in a crib so I had taken that down sometime after Christmas. He has been sleeping in his bed for naps and doing real well. I can't believe he is big enough to do it, and I don't think H & J were as little as him when they went into their big kid beds. Then again, they didn't sleep with us either! Last night I put him in his bed for bed and he slept in it for like 2 hours. At least he is getting used to it! I can't believe how much he is growing. He feeds himself like a pro and makes less of a mess than his 3 year old brother!!! I guess when there are other siblings that need mommy's attention they learn to grow up a bit quicker.

On Sunday I took H and J to Awana for the first time. I said I'd help in Cubbies. This is the first time my children have been to anything of this nature. We don't go to Sunday School, we homeschool, etc. I wasn't sure what H would think and I had volunteered to help in J's class. J is in Cubbies. He was a bit clingy, saying, "Mommy, Mommy!". He isn't very good with changes though. I am hoping after a few times he will be more relaxed and I won't have to stay right by him! I don't want to make it a miserable experience for him though. He did seem to enjoy himself and he's even memorized a few verses! H came to find us after Sparks and she had a good time, chatting about it the whole way home. She seemed to do fine with my not being right there! She generally does good with new situations though.

We finally began school again this week. H was so excited to start! I told her Sunday night and she was practically dancing in her chair, asking what we were going to learn and if I was for real! That sure made me more enthusiastic to prepare her lessons. She does awesome in math. I hate math and I wasn't sure how it would go, but she sure is catching on to adding! She still tends to read words with sounding them out and if I ask her not to sound them out she doubts herself. Hopefully she'll get it soon! I even did some school with J. Once H was excited, he was too. Last night I hauled myself to the Dollar Tree and picked up a few books for him. As if I don't have enough workbooks around here, but these were only $1 and I figured he'd enjoy them. So, we've been working on shapes with him. This is all stuff that I did with H when she was way younger than he is now, but many things he catches on to when we do it (like colors and counting). It was nice to have some time to teach him too, and I'm sure he enjoyed the attention. So often I feel like he gets 'pushed aside' as I teach H and nurse G.

I have been knitting again and teaching a lot of it to myself. I did have a friend's daughter show me how to cast on, but otherwise I've been learning binding off and purling myself. My first project was supposed to be a dishcloth but was a bit messed up so I gave it to H & it worked for a Barbie blanket! I am attempting another dishcloth now. Hopefully I'm doing it all the right way!

That's a little update on us! Nothing exciting...

5 comments:

Amie said...

We just started school again this week after "Christmas vacation" too. Its going pretty good.

I learned to knit a couple weeks ago. I just did my first cable stitches tonight. I think I will post pics on my sewing blog. Once you can knit and purl, you can do just about everything! I'm loving it.

Choppzs said...

Glad your visit with Uncle Larry was so successful!! sounds like you guys got quite a bit done!!

We are also going to be starting the bed thing with Zachary. Just waiting for taxes to get done, and then he will have his bed!!! Good luck to you, I hope it goes smoothly!!

Risa said...

I'm glad to hear that you have started Awana! My kids love it too, though I really don't feel like going tonight but they are begging so I suppose I will take them.

I haven't done so well in the knitting department...I have tried teaching myself which was really frustrating...the funny thing is that I usually don't have a problem with taht kind of thing and that makes it even MORE frustrating! I planned to make jozie a poncho last year for her b-day...it's still not even started and I have the yarn but her b-day is April...think I will have it done by then? Probably not! :(

Risa said...

PS We started school again this week too...unfortunately, my kids weren't as excited about it...but we get the rest of our books in on Fri. so hopefully that will get them excited about it again...I think they are just getting tired of reading all the time!

Jamie said...

Amie- Knitting is pretty easy. My mom taught me last summer...but only how to knit stitches, nothing else. So now that I'm getting the rest down I'm hoping to make some things!

Heather- Thanks, so far so good. At naptime he just gets up in his bed now. I'm surprised he doesn't try to go into my bed! Hope your transition goes smoothly too!

Risa- I guess you could make it a goal to finish Jozie's poncho;) It is so hard to get started on something! I have a cross stitch thing to make from like 4 or 5 years ago!! Some things are better left undone...lol.