Sunday, January 01, 2006

North woods vs. South bayou

In the North woods you greet people by saying, 'Hey yous guys. How are ya?'
In the South bayou you greet people by saying, 'Hi there ya'll. How are ya'll doing, honey?'

In the North woods you spend your winters snowblowing, shoveling and sitting by the woodstove keeping warm.
In the South bayou you spend your winters outdoors, doing house repairs from the season's hurricanes. You also need to mow your lawn a few times and you've never seen snow so you can't even imagine what it is.

In the North woods you have to drive about three hours to go shopping. You call up your ma and say, 'Hey, I wanna go Green Bay. Wanna come?'. It takes you about 6 hours to drive there due to the snow drifts on the road.
In the South bayou you drive down the road to the local shopping mall when you get shopping fever. A road trip is reserved for when you need to evacuate during hurricane season.

In the North woods you see more snowmobiles that you soon dream about them.
In the South bayou you see more shrimp boats that you consider investing in the business.

In the North woods you are glued to the TV screen to keep track of the snow count.
In the South bayou you are glued to the TV screen to keep track of the latest tropical developments.

In the North woods fireworks are reserved for the 4th of July.
In the South bayou fireworks are seen all year long: 4th of July, Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, etc...

In the North woods 30 degrees seems warm to you.
In the South bayou 30 degrees is freezing and you are wearing the warmest coat you have.

In the North woods you grow icicles off of your mittens by the time you get indoors and you have to dry your boots by the heater.
In the South bayou you have never seen a pair of mittens (and have only heard of them in The Three Little Kittens story), and the only boots you own are cowboy boots.

In the North woods the only people racially different from you are the college students.
In the South bayou all of the people are racially different- you live in a mixed neighborhood.

In the North woods you've never seen a real train.
In the South bayou the trains wizz by you every 5 minutes.

This is just some of the differences between the North and the South. I could come up with many more but my computer time is over! Last night I laid awake for hours listening to the whole neighborhood go crazy lighting off fireworks and celebrating the New Year. I had never seen fireworks on New Year's until I moved to Mississippi! Strange land, this is. Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Amie said...

What a list!

I was in Haiti for New Years 97. January first is also Haiti's independance day so its a double holiday. The church was packed on New Year's eve and when the stroke of midnight came all the Haitian people went nuts! They danced and sang and danced and sang...I soon got tired of it and went to bed but they kept it up for a long time.

Amie said...

Oh yeah, and in Haiti when it hit 70 degrees they all put on jackets!

Bethany said...

Lol. Personally, as lovley as the North Woods sound, I think I would freeze to death. I don't think I would like to know what mittens look like! :D

Isn't the weather lovely? I'm saving so much money on my electric bill this year!! :D

Choppzs said...

I have lived a little of everywhere, and I can say there are definite ups and downs to living in the north and south, and well, east and west!! lol I do hope though, when the time is good that we can move back home to Michigan. But if I can't take Michigan, I definitaly want to move back to the East Coast, possibly the Carolinas! I love it when you are traveling and you know you are in the South because you hear "How ya'll doin hunny?" and the old men that can barely stand even try to open doors for you!! Believe me, it's not like that at all here in Cali., you are lucky if you get an "excuse me" when someone runs into you at the grocery store!!