Saturday, December 31, 2005

2005: A Look back through my eyes

Bethany tagged me for this reflection of the year 2005.

What did you do in 2005 that you've never done before?
I evacuated for a Category 5 hurricane, the biggest one on record in our country, wondering if my husband and home were ok. Praise the Lord for watching over both! I also began formally educating my oldest child and am thoroughly enjoying it!

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I don't recall making any resolutions last year. I would like to make a point to have more Bible study fomyselfef this year, as well as eat a bit better than I do (less chocolate).

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, both my sisters-in-law, Amie and Rachel, my cousin, Carri, and a few friends. Also, my closest friend here is about to give birth. Maybe she'll have the New Year's baby!

Did anyone close to you die?
No, not anybody relationally close, but close as in proximity many people died due to Hurricane Katrina.

What countries did you visit?
The one and only U.S. of A.

What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
I'd love to have some more patience with life in general and more discipline to spend more time in the Word and with the Lord. I'd also like to have more fellowship with fellow believers. That is something I really miss!

What date from 2005 will remain etched in your memory and why?
August 29, the date hurricane Katrina wreaked havoc to the place I currently call home. I will never forget that date along with the whole week following. I hope to never live through a nightmare like that again.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning to trust God with everything in me that He was going to protect my family and my home. Also, teaching my daughter how to read, add and other things has been a great achievement!

What was your biggest failure?
I feel like I didn't always give my husband and children the time and attention they needed. And of course, not spending enough time with the Lord.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, thankfully! Just a few sneezes and sniffles!

What was the best thing you bought?
Probably our new 2005 Ford Focus. I love that little car!

Where did most of your money go?
Probably frivolous things like going out to eat and books.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My 6 week visit to Michigan this summer. We got to see most of our family and had a big old family reunion! It was such a blast!

What scripture is a theme of 2005?
Proverbs 3:5 'Trust in the Lord with all your heart'.


Compared to this time last year are you:
a. Happier or sadder? I am happier. There is alot of devastation and sadness surrounding my area but I am trying to keep a positive spirit.
b. Thinner or fatter? Probably the same. I haven't seemed to gain or lose any weight, although it seems all my pants are loose on me.
c. Richer or poorer? Probably a bit richer. My husband gets a raise every year and we have had a blessed year, although we're by no means rich!

What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I had spent more time on the floor playing with my children, reading to them, getting down on their level.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Playing on this darn computer!

How did you spend Christmas?
We went to church, came home and opened gifts and I cooked a big dinner for my husband, children, father-in-law and I. We had a fun day!

Did you fall in love in 2005?
Well, even though the children often get under my skin I seem to continually, daily fall in love with the little things they do!

What was your favorite TV show?
I don't watch any TV so I don't have a favorite, although everybody tells Zach he likes like Raymond from 'Everybody Loves Raymond', so I'll just pick that;).

What was the best book you read?
No question about it, 'Created to be His Helpmeet' by Debi Pearl.

What was your greatest musical discovery of 2005?
My children and their sweet voices singing through the day. I am not sure I have discovered anything musical this year. Well, I did become addicted to The Sound of Music songs!

What did you want and get?
Well usually when I want something I get it. I don't usually have alot of things I want, so its really no big deal. The one thing I really wanted was to go home to Michigan for the summer and I did get to do that!

What did you want and not get?
Patience, patienpatienceence! And I wanted a piano. And the restthe teh rooms in my house painted. But that's ok, there's always 2006!

What was your favorite film this year?
I have a terrible memory when it comes to movies and the ones I've seen. I really liked the movie Dreamer, and a recent one I saw was Yours, Mine and Ours.

What did you do on your birthday?
My birthday is August 30. I sat at my friend Sheila's house in Panama City, FL, wondering if my dh was alive, and if my house was washed away. I then took the children to eat at IHOP and we probably shopped for nothing in particular. I was just trying to pass time and make life a bit normal at that time, but I was a wreck! I also saw another friend that lives in P.C., Nancy, who cooked a wonderful dinner for the kids and I!

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Um, I try to be content in all things. There are many little things that I could dwell on, but I will be content with all that I am blessed with! So many here still do not have a home so I choose to be thankful!

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Well, I'm not big on fashion trends. I just try to dress comfortable, in jeans and a nice shirt. Of course I like to look nice and presentable too.

What kept you sane?
Who said I was sane?

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Ashton Kutcher

What political issue stirred you the most?
I don't usually get into politics, but it really irked me when the Hurricane Katrina thing became a political issue and everybody was blaming the President!

Who did you miss?
I missed my family, of course, but not having had many friends here, I really missed my friends and church from North Carolina. And my friend Jamie, my absolute best friend who I will get to see in a little over a month!!!

Who was the best new person you met?
My friend Robin has been a blessing in my life!

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
It is something I already knew, but was brought to the forefront this year: to treasure your famand adn enjoy them; not to take life for granted; not to place so much emphasis on material items.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
It is one of my favorites, called 'Who Am I' by Casting Crowns:
Who am I?
That the Lord of all the earth,
Would care to know my name,
Would care to feel my hurt,
Who am I?
That the Bright and Morning Star,
Would choose to light the way,
For my ever wandering heart,

Not because of who I am,
But because of what You've done,
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who You are,

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean (ocean),
A vapor in the wind,
Still You hear me when I'm calling,Lord,
You catch me when I'm falling,
And You've told me who I am.. I am Yours.

Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin,
Would look on me with love,
and watch me rise again,
Who am I?
That the voice that calmed the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me,

Not because of who I am,
But because of what You've done,
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who You are,

I am a flower quickly fading,
Here today and gone tomorrow,
A wave tossed in the ocean (ocean),
A vapor in the wind,
Still You hear me when I'm calling, Lord,
You catch me when I'm falling,
And You've told me who I am... I am Yours,
I am Yours. I am Yours,
Whom shall I fear? Whom shall I fear?
'Cause I am Yours, I am Yours.

I tag Amie, Anne, Beth, Heather & Marisa.



2 comments:

Bethany said...

Hey, good job! How you spent your birthday broke my heart...but I understand! Boy do I!

Thanks for participating!

Amie said...

Ashton Kutcher?? LOL, didn't see that one coming...

Thanks for sharing, I'll do mine when I have a mintue (its a long one!)