Monday, December 19, 2005

All Services Cancelled

I've been hearing talk lately about how churches are canceling their services on Sunday because Christmas falls on Sunday. They're talking about how Christmas is a family day and you don't want to take time away from your family. Ummm...yeah....let's get up at 5 am the only Sunday out of the year to open presents from 'Santa Claus'. Let's not go to church because its Christmas. We need to thank Santa for our gifts and play with our new toys. Oh, and all the family is coming over for dinner so we need to keep busy in the kitchen. And football will be on. And parades. We can't miss the parade. I just don't understand. Why would a CHURCH cancel its service on CHRISTmas??? It is the day we celebrate the BIRTH of Jesus, our Lord, our God! I'm sure Jesus is pretty sad about this latest trend of the church. My father-in-law is a devout Catholic and I was asking him about the Catholic church because I know that no matter what day Christmas falls on, be it a Wednesday or Friday or Sunday, they always have a Christmas mass. Shouldn't the Christian churches be the same? Shouldn't we go to church on Jesus birthday to celebrate, to worship. I know that I will be there on Sunday! Now I also wonder when I will get the turkey in the oven, when will we open gifts, etc, but the most important thing is to celebrate Jesus that day and one way I will do that is by being in church. Thankfully our church is having a service on Sunday! I really would like to go to a candlelight service on Christmas Eve too. It's a tradition I'd love to keep. So we may be getting our double dosage this coming weekend! Happy Birthday Jesus!

4 comments:

Choppzs said...

I am Catholic too, and I don't think I have ever heard of mass being canceled on Christmas if it was on a Sunday. I always go to the late Christmas Eve mass with the family too. I love the tradition we have started when we go to mass on Eve (usually the later evening mass), go home, the kids get to open 1 gift from Mommy and Daddy (their yearly ornaments) and then we put out cookies and milk and the kids hit the sac!! I can't imagine any church cancelling services just because Christmas falls on Sunday. Rediculous if you ask me!!

Amie said...

I totally agree, i'm glad our church didn't cancel their services although i'm told they debated about it. I'm not home to go though (just got to the U.P last night).

Bethany said...

We are having church on Christmas day as well. What church do you go to? Just curious.

I attend Michael Memorial Baptist Church.

DDanielle said...

I guess I am not that appalled at churches not having services on Christmas. I do think its odd that these "mega" churches are canceling though. I could understand a smaller church having Christmas Eve services and not doing a Christmas morning one. I belonged to a church that knew just about everyone was going to be out of town so they didn't have a Christmas day service on a Sunday.
My church is going to have Christmas day service, but we aren't going because we will be at my in-law's house. Granted it isn't that far, but we will be going to the late evening service on Christmas Eve. However I don't think of it as we aren't going to church because we have to open presents.
I guess I wouldn't judge anyone who didn't go to a Christmas service when they attend church regularly anyways.