Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Not-So-Happy Happy Meal

Today I decided to treat the kiddos to a Happy Meal from McDonald's. We've been a bit cooped up lately and I thought it would be nice to do something different. We do McD's frequently, but not Happy Meals. I went through the drive through and the sign said there were Chicken Little toys. They saw this movie with Daddy and I knew they'd like that. There are some Happy Meal toys that I don't want my children to have. So, we get home and they look in their bags. J has a Power Ranger toy. Fine. It's not Chicken Little, but oh well. H's looks a bit different and I look at the baggy to see what it is. It has a doll and a book and the book is titled 'Witch'. I was aghast! What on earth!?!? My 5 year old is not going to have a witch toy, much less book. I open it up to read the book and see what it is all about. We're not into all the cartoons, toys and all that (we don't even have cable TV), so I was surprised to see it is some cartoon on Disney. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. Of course, H wants her toy, especially since her brother has one. So, she has the doll part of it for now, but not the book. I save the book to show to Zach and will take the doll later today and pitch it. The book talks about this girl/witch having power over air and it says her astrological sign. My 5 year old does not need things like this, and I don't think Jesus would want to see something like this in our home. I decided to call and complain about this toy they have in their Happy Meals. After all, many businesses can't say Merry Christmas but 'The Golden Arches' can sell a witch toy? I tried to call the local number but only got a machine. That's when I noticed an 800 # on my cup. Now, if you don't know me, I am NOT one to do these types of things. Normally I sit by and think that somebody else will be proactive and do it. Anyway, I talked to this man who was very friendly in the whole ordeal. He explained to me that Happy Meal toys need to interest children of all ages and that they try to see what shows/movies children are into and do the promotional thing. I told him that I am a Christian and I don't want my 5 year old daughter having a toy that is named after a Witch cartoon. Like, I said he was very friendly and took my complaint. Once I thought up it occurred to me that they would never have a Jesus toy in a Happy Meal, so why a witch? I know Jesus isn't 'cool' in the worlds terms and there isn't a show to base that off of for a promo toy thing, but still... I wonder if they've gotten any other calls about this? Anyway, just wanted to share my experience today. So, buyer beware: the next time you purchase a Happy Meal make sure it is a toy you approve of!

5 comments:

Amie said...

Is it the witch from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe?

by the way I tagged your for a meme

Amie said...

Never mind that question, I just looked it up and saw what toy it is. I agree, there must something else besides that!

DDanielle said...

Wow, that is hypocritical. I never thought about it that way. I bet if they put a veggie tales toy in there it would cause a big stink. Its funny I work for a call center and I am amazed at what people do complain about. Most of the time it is trivial. However to me this isn't. Good job on being proactive about it.

Anne said...

I had something similar happen to us a couple of years ago. And around Christmas-time?? I think I wrote a letter to the company. Ever since I watched "Super-Size Me" I haven't been to McD's-- and that's been over a year ago! :)

MommyLydia said...

I would not WANT a Jesus toy in a McDonald's Happy Meal, honestly.

(Chick Fe Le has the Veggie tales locked up I think. They are doing Lion Witch and Wardrobe, I honestly don't think Micky D's would scruple at Veggietales if they could get it.)