Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Servanthood



For the past few weeks the Lord has really been working on my heart about being a servant to my family. How many of you often think, "Man, I just feel like a slave around here?" "Will this ever end?" "When is some time for ME?" I know I think these things...often. Another glass of juice to get, another diaper to change, crumbs to clean, clothes to wash, a toilet to scrub and children to teach. Where is time for me? I realized years ago that I think I'm more selfish that the average person because I am an only child. What I wanted I got. And so sometimes I think I have a hard time serving others because of that. BUT the Lord has been working on me with it for years and I have improved since I was that whiny little kid (for the most part). Now He is teaching me how I am to serve my family.

First of all, what does serve mean? From the Webster's online Dictionary serve means to be of use, to be favorable, opportune or convenient, to prove adequate, to help persons to food, to furnish or supply with something needed or desired. A servant means one that performs duties of the person or home of a master. Who is my master? God! Who has placed me in my home? God! What am I to do? Serve!

I think I mentioned previously that a few weeks ago I went to an Above Rubies conference. Some of what I learned there has to do with serving. Nancy talked about many things but I am only going to highlight a few points. One thing she said is that we change the world from our home. Now if I am sitting in front of the TV all day or have the children watching videos all day am I changing the world? Or maybe all day long I sit in front of the computer or delight myself in a book while the little ones run through the house. Am I changing the world? NO! I need to SERVE my children- to prove adequate to them and supply them with what they need. Physically, emotionally, spiritually I need to serve my children. Another thing that Nancy said is, "We find who we are by serving and losing our life for others".

Matthew 10:39 "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it".
In Nancy's book The Power of Motherhood she says, "Sometimes you can feel that you are losing your life, as you get swamped with dirty diapers, washing, cleaning and constantly ministering to little children. In these times remember this principle. As you lose your life in serving your family and others, you will find your life". How true this is. The more we pour ourselves into others the more we 'lose' ourselves, but really we find ourselves- in Him!

Who is to be our example? JESUS! Did Jesus just mope around and sit frolicking with friends? NO! He was out there serving others! Matthew 20:28 says that Jesus did not come to serve but to serve others. Jesus washed his disciples feet!

John 10:15 "...And I lay down my life for the sheep."

John 15: 12, 13 "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends".

Galatians 5:13 "Serve one another in love".

Am I laying down my life for the 'little lambs' he has given me? Am I loving them as He loved us? Am I serving them in love? Or am I just going about doing what needs to be done because somebody has to do it?

So many times we hear people comment about feeling like a doormat. Sometimes I tend to think I'm a doormat and I get frustrated in my spirit about it. But that is exactly what I am to be. But not grumbling about it. I am to joyfully serve my family.

"Philippians 2:14 "Do everything without complaining or arguing".

The Lord has blessed me with a faithful and loving husband. He has entrusted me with his children to care for. Am I honoring Him by serving my family the way that He served? Will my children say that I walked 'in his steps'. That is what I want them to say. So, I am working diligently on my attitude, praying constantly for His Spirit to go before me as I serve my family. What are you doing to serve the family He has given you? Let us be the mothers He has called us to be and to serve with a joyful, willing and obedient heart.

6 comments:

Amie said...

It is hard to keep a servant's heart, especially when the message from the world is "YOU deserve this, and you deserve that"

I always remind myself how fast children grow, and to enjoy their childhood even if it means less time for me because eventually they will be grown and I will miss their little demands.

Risa said...

Thanks Jamie, I needed that! :)

Jodie said...

Good post Jam. I struggle with that one...

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

Great words there. And oh, how true! I am struggling with my own selfishness as I type this. Thank you for the encouragement and reminder!

Christine said...

Thank you for these inspiring words, Jaime. It is just so easy to get caught up in the little frustrations that come with mothering. I want to yield to God and rise above the little things.

Bethany said...

Great thoughts...and some I, too, struggle with.