Monday, March 20, 2006

One Proud Wife

Well, Zach has gotten into boxing lately. I have been somewhat supportive, although my heart hasn't been into it, so I'm really not sure how supportive that is! I just don't know how I feel about slugging people like that for a sport! Anyway, that is not why I'm writing. Friday night he took part in a boxing match called Slugfest. They put him in the heavyweights division because they didn't have enough men in there. He weighs about 186-190 but on the program they said he weighed 199. I was SO nervous. I went to watch and support him and I was more nervous than he was! The biggest guy in the heavyweights was 355!!! I was so worried Zach would get stuck fighting him and get knocked out or something. Anyway, he made it through the first round on to the second round. I was SO proud of him! I was up in the stands cheering, "GO ZACH!!! WOOOHHHOOO"! I am NOT normally like that, I was so shocked at myself but I guess I got an adrenaline rush seeing him out there like that!

For the second round it turned out the guy he was supposed to fight forfeited because he was light-headed, so Zach didn't even have to fight that round and he automatically made it to the final round, where if he was the winner he would win $1,000!!! I am glad he didn't fight the guy in the second round. He was this short fatter kid, but he could punch! So, the final, very last round of the whole night and Zach is in it! I was so nervous and so sure he could beat the guy. Turned out he didn't, but that is ok. The $1,000 would have been nice, but I am just so thankful he didn't get hurt. He ended up busting up the guys nose pretty good- there was blood everywhere! I was just so proud of how well he did!

His first boxing match ever and he made it to the final round! He kept getting knocked down (about 5 or 6 times), but he kept getting right back up and finally he just called it quits. One guy I was sitting by commented on how much Zach kept smiling, through it all (everybody comments on how he always smiles). I didn't think he had it in him to do something like that. Do I want him to do it again? NO! But I am proud of him standing his ground, doing something nobody thought he would be able to do. I think people think that because he's a Christian he is a push-over and all. I think this was partly a way for him to prove himself to people, not like he needs to do that. Anyway, just wanted to share that I am a thankful wife, that he is ok and that the Lord has given him strength and that despite how I feel about boxing I am proud of him for doing so well!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Hey! I'm not that big of a boxing fan either. :) But that's great that you are supporting your husband- or at last trying to! :)

Amie said...

Thanks for posting about it, I never did hear how it went! When he called and told Jeremiah that he was going to have to fight in the heavyweight division we were a little concerned, but it sounds like he held his own very well. Good job Zach!

Choppzs said...

Wow, that's kind of scary!! I would be very worried too if Chris did something like that. I hate seeing people fight, let alone have it be my husband. Glad he did well though, just make sure you don't let him do it again!! lol

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad he came through it all unscathed! I would have been a proud wife too, albeit a tad scared. I feel such a relief knowing it went ok. Have been praying for you!!

Love,
Peg (aka Christy)

Me said...

I don't know how I'd like that either, but I'd be up there screaming my lungs out too :) Glad he did so well!

ChicoryChick said...

Wow, I am not a big boxing fan and am not sure how supportive of my husband I would be! I did enjoy the movie "Cinderella Man" with the exception of taking Christ's name in vain (not my the lead character).