Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Refined in the Potter's Hands

So alot has been going on in our lives, right? First I had the miscarriage. Zach's job is terrible (an understatement) and then the other day he was involved in a hit and run (he's fine, he was at the drive-thru when somebody hit him). I threw up my hands in the air and exclaimed, "What's next?" I wondered, "Who's going to die?" I don't even want to know what could be next. But then I got to thinking, and most importantly reading my Bible. And I know God is trying to teach us something. Something BIG. Why else do we go through trials? Every time we go through a period of trials it is always because God is trying to show us something. We've been quite stagnant in our walks for awhile now. Sure, we read our Bible (try to every day), pray and all of that, but we aren't producing a whole lot of good fruits (love, joy, peace patience, etc). The intent is there. We WANT to live righteous and holy and upright lives. But it is SO hard! And so God has been showing me the following:

Jeremiah 18:4
"But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him."
So maybe we are a bit marred right now and God is trying to shape us into a whole new, more righteous being. It takes his hands to mold us and make us and sometimes that can hurt!
Malachi 3:2, 3
"But who can endure the day of his coming? Who can stand when he appears? For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderer's soap. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness..."
I am reminded of the following story, and as I read it again I truly know without a doubt that God is working on and with us. I know He is here right beside us.
The Refiner's Fire Story
Some time ago, a few ladies met in a certain city to read the scriptures and make them the subject of conversation. While reading the third chapter of Malachi they came upon a remarkable expression in the third verse. "And He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."
One lady's opinion was that it was intended to convey the view of the sanctifying influence of the grace of Christ. Then she proposed to visit a silversmith and report to them what he said on the subject. She went accordingly and without telling the object of her errand, begged to know the process of refining silver, which he fully described to her.
"But Sir," she said, "do you sit while the work of refining is going on?" "Oh, yes madam, " replied the silversmith, "I must sit with my eye steadily fixed on the furnace, for if the time necessary for refining be exceeded in the slightest degree, the silver will be injured." The lady at once saw the beauty, and comfort too, of the expression,
"He shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." Christ sees it needful to put His children into a furnace. His eye is steadily intent on the work of purifying, and His wisdom and love are both engaged in the best manner for them. Their trials do not come at random; "the very hairs of your head are all numbered."
As the lady was leaving the shop, the silversmith called her back, and said he had still further to mention, that he only knows when the process of purifying was complete, by seeing his own image reflected in the silver. Beautiful example! When Christ shall see His own image in His people, His work of purifying will be accomplished.
Author Unknown
While these times may be trying I know that God is refining us to bring us to a 'higher level', to bring us nearer to Him and nearer to the place we desire to be. As I ponder all of this the following song plays in my head over and over again:
Hungry (Falling On My Knees)
Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy
I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry
And so I wait for You so I wait for You
I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for
Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide
I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life
And so I wait for You so I wait for You
If you are also going through some trials know that God is there beside you (Joshua 1:5 "I will never leave you nor forsake you"), wanting you to draw ever nearer to Him (Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest").

2 comments:

ChicoryChick said...

Well, I know this isnt scriptural, but they say things happen in threes, so maybe you are ok for a while. :) Life has been going somewhat smoothly and I keep wondering, okay God, what do you have in store! :) Love the story...did you steal it off my blog, if not its funny that you posted it as I had a couple of week ago. I love the song "Hungry" I was singing it just yesterday! See you later clay! ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great story. Thanks for posting it. I hope things start looking up for you soon.