Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Trip Part 2- South Carolina

We headed out of North Carolina and went to S.C. and checked out Shaw AFB. It was a really nice base, but the housing wasn't the best we've seen (but we're picky). They had a really nice park there (some of the pictures were taken there) with a lake/pond that you could fish in. We saw so many turtles swimming in there- it was really neat. Then we headed to Columbia where we FINALLY found a hotel. We fed the kids some dinner and went in search of Go-Karts. It was our anniversary and Zach wanted to play like a kid;) We found this cool park, with all sorts of things to do. We had fun on the Go-Karts and we also attempted to play mini golf. That was interesting with three little ones, especially when the park was closing soon. So after awhile Zach and I would take our turn and then we'd let the kids hurry through theirs at the same time- not really counting their strokes! Cuddly Boy would just hit his ball once and then go and put it in the hole and say, "My did it". It was pretty funny to watch us, I bet!

We stayed at a nice hotel- the bed was so super soft and so were the towels. The blankets on the bed looked brand new and not all nasty. After sleeping in TLF, or I should say not sleeping, we had a good nights sleep! We slept in real late to get our money's worth and then headed out for breakfast. My kids LOVE I-Hop. The one by our hotel was packed and we drove around looking for another with no luck. By that time we were downtown, which was our destination, and it was lunchtime. So, we grabbed some Mexican food and told the kids we'd do breakfast the next day. They weren't too pleased, but I'm sure they were hungry and they ate their food right up! Oh, after we grabbed the food we drove down the street to eat and lo and behold on the NEXT corner there was an I-Hop. I was going to keep my mouth shut, but Cuddly Boy noticed it right away!

We were parked right in front of the S.C. State House (capitol building). We got out and toured the grounds looking at all of the different statues. Then we went in. The architecture was amazing! We even got a lesson in 'government' as they were voting on something and we could hear them. We did venture up the steps a bit to take a look but I feared one of the kids shouting or something and didn't go too far. Not to mention all of the looks from those 'upper class' people. I could just see their mind working, 'Uh, what are people doing bringing that many children in here?'

We then went to EdVenture Children's Museum. That place was SO cool. Remember the membership my neighbor bought us for a Christmas gift to our local children's museum? Well, you can use it at other ones around the country- and this was one of them! It says its the South's largest children's museum. It was SO neat and even Zach & I had fun playing in there! There was so much to see and do- from milking a cow to driving a car. From changing a tire to painting a wall. And we can't forget Eddie- who you could climb in and see his organs, his heart beating, etc. It was amazing and I would even have paid to go there! After that we ventured into Georgia which will be Part 3! Stay tuned folks;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no rule that you have to do i-Hop for breakfast! No matter what time of day I go to I-Hop I eat breakfast.

Christine said...

The children's museum looks awesome. I will have to check it out some time. I love the pictures. It looks like y'all had a blast.Blessings!s

Risa said...

Sounds like a great time! :) Your pictures are great. I like the one of you and Zach. Makes me want to plan a vacation with the kids...I'm not sure I could get my husband OR my mom to agree with that though. My DH would have to take time off from work and my mom would say it cost too much money. :P Poo on them! It sounds like a GREAT idea to me! :)

Risa said...

This is too funny! I think we were leaving comments on each others blogs at the exact same time!