Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Picky, Picky, Picky

Last week the base had this picnic, sorta like a "Let's celebrate Katrina" thing. Well, when the kiddos heard the word 'picnic' they were all about it. So, Friday afternoon we picked Daddy up from work and checked out this shindig. It was at the Marina Park. Well, that is on the back bay of Biloxi which was real flooded and all. So, where there used to be grass it was all like dried up sludge/mud/muck, whatever you want to call it. A bit gross to me. We ate our hot dogs and hamburgers (which made my stomach hurt like nothin' else), and of course the kids wanted to play. They were going all out at this picnic- they had the blow-up climbing things, bouncing things, etc. They had a few different local bands. It was pretty decent. I guess we did it more for the kids than anything. Something different to do, something that seems a bit 'normal' to us all. BUT their feet got SO dirty from that nasty ground. I mean, I have NO idea what was all sitting on that ground from Miss Katrina. I wasn't going to take chances. Not when it comes to my children. So when we got home I threw them all in the tub and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed. Like I said, I don't know how 'safe' that was. I feel like I am so darn picky and weird. Last week we also played at McDonald's and they had been running around bare-footed. Gross. I'm not big on indoor play places to begin with. So when we got home from there I scrubbed their feet and washed their hands. I'm not taking chances when it comes to my precious children and keeping them healthy. Who knows what may be breeding down here as far as germs and all. But sometimes I feel like I am utterly too picky and take the fun out of life. I will include some pictures from our times of playing (minus the clean-up).

3 comments:

razorbackmama said...

I'm the same way, and I won't even TAKE my kids to those McD's playlands! I've known TOO MANY kids who have gotten hand, foot, and mouth disease after playing in them! BLECH!!!!!

Bethany said...

Heh. I don't think you are weird...just different from me! And because you are very germ conscious doesn't mean you take all the fun out of things.

I, however, am the complete opposite! I let my kids play in the rain (unless of course its a freaking hurricane *sigh*) and mud on a regular basis. I also scrub their feet and hands...but only after they've played all day (except mealtimes of course!)

But we are all wired differently. I bet you have a spotless house, huh? :D

Choppzs said...

I am the same way! I am constantly telling Olivia to wash her hands before she eats and after she gets home from school. Just the thought of the kids snotting and sneezing all over each other and the school supplies really grosses me out!! Then she goes and touches Zachary all over and ick all that gross stuff!!! I am a major germ freak!!