Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Friendships

Last week I went to a Pampered Chef party. While there I met another woman about my age. Her son looked about G's age, so we struck up a conversation. Turns out she has two other children that weren't there with her. All of her children and my children are the same ages! You may be wondering, "So what?". Well, I haven't necessarily been praying about this particular thing, but its been on my heart and in my mind for some time. I don't have a lot of close friends here, and of those I am close to their children are older than mine and they are quite a bit older than me. Which is totally ok, but sometimes I just wish I had somebody my age, in the same boat with me, so to speak, going through the same things at the same time. Does that make sense? And poor dear H hasn't had a close girlfriend since we were in North Carolina- well over a year ago! Well this lady, Casey, and I exchanged phone numbers and they came over to play yesterday. Let me tell you it was totally God to work this out. I wasn't originally planning on going to the PC party (afterall I didn't even really know the lady having it), but I went anyway. Anyway, I wasn't sure if Casey was a Christian, pagan, Buddhist... Not like it mattered at that particular time, but it is important to me to have a friend of the same faith. Well, it turns out she is a Christian also. Her 5 year old daughter goes to 1/2 day Kindergarten at a Baptist church here right now, but she wants to homeschool. We just really seemed to have a lot in common and it is SO nice to have a new friend. Now I know we only got together one time, but we really hit it off! And the kids had fun playing too. So, thank YOU Jesus for my new friend;)

On another note, why are we women SO sensitive? Why did God make us this way? Now I'm not nearly as sensitive as I was years ago, but I still am. You know, your husband jokingly disses dinner, but deep down it hurts, even if it is a joke. I'm not saying that is the case here, its just an example. How much do you reach out to somebody and try to be their friend? I have a friend here and I thought we were getting quite close. We'd get the kids together to play, we've gone out "kid-less" a few times and really seemed to be hitting it off. Now I know that this friend has had a rough year here and gone through some things. And I know she recently has as well. I have tried to reach out to her. I have called her numerous times. She never returns my calls. This is where the sensitivity kicks in. I begin to wonder, "What did I do?" She has caller ID, or did last I knew, so she knows when I call. I've left messages on her machine, emailed, etc. If this was just anybody I'd 'blow it off' as best I could. But, she was special to me as a friend and I enjoyed getting to know her. So, what do I do? See what I mean...I'm so sensitive! I know a lot of women would be like, "Forget it" or whatever, but it is hard to come across people who have the same beliefs and convictions that you have, and like I said this woman is special. I guess I just keep praying for her, for her healing and for peace. And I guess I just need to pray for peace for myself in the situation as well.

So, what are your stories? Are any of you other ladies just as sensitive to things like this?

3 comments:

Amie said...

Awesome! I would go crazy without my friends.

I would of felt the exact same way if somebody quit answering my calls. I think on the whole, growing up with four sisters has caused me to be a little less sensitive to things. We would fight and bicker and say the meanest things, after while you have to let it learn to slide off your back.

razorbackmama said...

Oh my goodness I've had the same thing happen recently, and I've had the same thoughts!!! A friend that I thought I was getting to know rather well...she even watched my older 4 when I was having #5...our kids love each other...etc. She never returns my calls ever! And, like you, I've thought, what did I do? Am I weird or something? Did I say something that offended her? Etc.

DDanielle said...

As much as the "world" portrays woman as always having a close knit group of friends (a la Sex and the City), I don't think it always happens that way. One day my husband and I were discussing who we hung out with before we started to date (we went to school together from middle to high school). He was surprised that every year I had a different girl I would consider my "best friend". Even today I have close friends, but not necessarily a best friend. Many of my husband's friends' wives are more of the "girly girl" type, and I just don't relate well to them. Also some woman never seem to grow out of that clique mentality. Its good to hear God has given this new woman as a blessing it sounds like you could use her:-)