Saturday, November 12, 2005

What a Scare!

Like usual last night I had a difficult time falling asleep. I usually do. But I heard J cry a bit a few times and wondered if he was ok. Then I think I hear all these noises and my mind starts swirling. I am tired but just can't seem to fall asleep. I wonder if somebody will break in. I wonder if some child molester will take my child. Very unlikely, I know, but that's what happens when I'm overtired and can't seem to fall asleep. So finally I must have dozed off. I was out cold. All of a sudden the smoke alarms start going off! I jump up and try to reach for my glasses, turn on the light, and mumble, "What the h*#@!" Now I never swear, so I was pretty freaked out. Zach jumped up just as quickly as I did and ran into the hall, turning on the lights and checking for smoke. There was nothing, of course, thankfully, so we determined our batteries must be running low. Why do those things feel the need to go off in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT???? So we go back to lying down, but my heart is still pretty much out of my chest. About 10 minutes later again we hear, "Beep, beep, beep". And those things are SO loud. This time it woke up the baby. I was very surprised that J didn't wake screaming. H woke up, but she wasn't real frightened about it. So, poor Zach had to change the batteries at like 1:30 am! At least they didn't go off again and we were able to get some sleep. Sure was scary though!

4 comments:

Choppzs said...

I hate when stuff like that happens!! and doesn't it always seem to happen in the middle of the night? I often have bad ideas of things happening to the kids, especially when Chris isn't home. I am glad it was just dead batteries and nothing more!!

Amie said...

Yes, always in the middle of the night!

Our smoke alarms have will beep periodically when their batteries go dead. It is so annoying that if you don't change the batteries you will go crazy.

Anne said...

Our power often fluctuates in our lovely 40-year-old base housing causing the alarms to go off and wake up baby- aargh!!!

Anne said...

Oops, I forgot to mention that I tagged you! See my site for details.