Monday, August 17, 2009

Happy 1st day of school!!!

Anybody else have issues getting to blogger? Lately when I type it in my address bar it comes up as page cannot be displayed. So I have to go to google, type it in there and it works. One more reason I should make the switch. Last night I did create a wordpress account but haven't really familiarized myself with it all yet. Anyway, today was the first day of 'school' (but not a full load). Here's a rundown:

  • We did Bible time at breakfast. Overall it went well, but I had one boy who would not really cooperate. This boy tested me in other areas today too and I threatened public school (on the first day of 'school'!).
  • We did some chores and then began 'school'. Booty Shaker couldn't wait to begin! I got out the book 'Chicka Chicka Boom Boom' and we read it together while the older two worked on handwriting. BS got to make a tree with his name on it as a project and colored a sheet where we'll add a letter each time he learns a new one.
  • Chatterbox did about 6 pages of handwriting! I think that's her favorite subject! Of course, how hard can it really be? Meanwhile, all Junior Squirrel did was 2 simple pages. Sigh. The difference between children...
  • I got a phone call from an old college friend. We've been playing phone tag over the past week and it was so nice to reconnect with her. If only it wasn't such a crazy morning! Speaking of crazy, Sweet Pea was quite clingy this morning too. So I'm sure Chris wondered what kind of madhouse I live in! A madhouse indeed, but it is MY madhouse:)
  • Booty Shaker wanted to do his 'normal' kindergarten books so we did a couple of pages in them. It's so weird how with my oldest I had time to do all sorts of listed activities and such and with BS I pretty much just skimmed the lesson. But he does already know how to write and hold a pencil so it was very basic indeed!
  • We began our science. We're using Considering God's Creation and will also throw in God's Design Science. We talked about creation and they got to draw pictures for each day.
  • Which reminds me, did I ever share how much money I actually saved on homeschool books from buying from ebay or people? I saved $277!!! Isn't that INCREDIBLE!?! I'm psyched!
  • For lunch we got Happy Meals from McDonald's. I had to run out and bring my CPI forms to the school district office and thought I'd get them a 'treat' for their first day.
  • I ran to Hy-vee and ordered Sweet Pea's and Booty Shaker's birthday cakes. Then we ran to Wal-mart for some needed items.
  • We came home and the doorbell wouldn't stop ringing. The deck guy picking up the wood, the lawn guy spraying the weeds. It seems it rang more than that but I guess not. Maybe just because I was busy at that time!
  • I bought a shepherd's hook, bird feeder, bird food, and hummingbird feeder. The only thing is I can't figure out the hummingbird feeder. There's a hole at the bottom so how does the water stay in it??? Weird. I got the food out on the hook in the backyard. We've noticed quite a few birds perched on the fence lately so hopefully we'll be able to bird watch a bit.
  • I also bought a little aquarium for the boy's sea monsters (triops) that their cousin Luke brought for them. Now we'll grow those and see what happens.
  • We got a package from my mom full of much anticipated sewing items so then the kiddos sat at the table sewing!
  • Much more learning went into the day than I intended! It is a good reminder that not all learning has to be book learning or 'planned'. It was a wonderful day! Now if only I can get my children to quit fighting and start obeying!
  • Oh and another thing...I was pretty mad to have stepped in dog pee before we ran out! Good thing it wasn't the baby crawling in it! YUCK! Here I just mopped a couple of days ago!

5 comments:

Kim said...

You had a busy day on your hands.Still don't know how you manage to do all that. Kudos to you. Sounds like the kids will have a lot to do in school this year. Looking forward to hearing about all your projects.

Me said...

You're always so stinkin' busy! You make me tired just reading about it :)

I am OK said...

Sounds like you got a roaring start! Enjoy

DDanielle said...

HATED handwriting in school...thinking about 6 pages brings a tear to my eye even now. I much rather have been reading, math, spelling....ANYTHING other than handwriting. Of course, if you saw my handwriting it would be obvious that I hated it lol.
Busy day, sounds like a good first day though.

Amie said...

We have Considering God's Creation too (I might have mentioned that before).

My kids do handwriting, but I don't put much stock into it. I did handwriting all those years (even got sent for extra help) and mine is still terrible. However, it looks exactly like my dad's handwriting, so there is obviously a genetic component.