Friday, June 10, 2005

Hurricane season

Well, even though it isn't quite the middle of June yet, hurricane season is upon us. It only officially began 9 days ago and already there is a tropical storm headed this way. I am not sure I will ever get used to this type of weather phenomenon. I have to admit that I do NOT miss all that snow they get in the U.P. You know, the kind where the wind howls and blows and the snow swirls around so much you can't even see out of your window? Everything is cancelled and the snow is up to your waist. I don't miss that. But at least with those nasty blizzards you are not forced from your home. You know you will be safe, warm and snug in your own home. Maybe for a longer time that you'd like, as you are stuck indoors until you can open the door, but at least you can stay where you are comfortable in a familiar surrounding with your family.

With this tropical weather it is a whole different ballgame. I haven't even been here for a year yet, but was forced to evacuate with Ivan. We had just bought our first home, had a baby and Z had to stay behind while I left. And let me tell you, trying to find a hotel at the last minute this side of the Rockies, well that is impossible. Ok, so I'm exaggerating a bit today, but really I don't like leaving my home. The base has hurricane shelters, but I would much rather leave town than stay in a nasty shelter with who knows what kind of people. Especially with 3 kids under the age of 5. That's asking for a breakdown! Well, of course Z got chosen to be on the hurricane shelter team, so if there is an evacuation he has to go to the shelter. Lovely to choose the guy with a family. Just make the wife deal with the kids and find a safe place alone. Like I said, I could go to the shelter but that is the last thing I'd want to do. Z would be there, but he would be dealing with all those student's issues he wouldn't have time to help me out with the kids. And do I want G crawling all over a place like that??? NO! So, as I sit around watching the satellite pictures of this storm, watching as the wind picks up and waiting, I wish for just one day of another U.P. blizzard that will keep me in my cozy abode and not take me from it.

1 comment:

Risa said...

I think I am going to miss those days too! :) But I must say, I don't think I will miss the 300+ inches of snow every winter! :)