Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Dining In or Dining Out

It has been on my heart for some time to not eat out and to try to dine in our home and to provide a healthy meal for my family. Although it has been on my heart I haven't necessarily acted on that desire. We would still eat out many times. About 2 months ago I began making a menu and it helped me to know what to cook, what to buy, etc. I didn't necessarily adhere to it every day, but it did help. I have been getting Kraft Food & Family in the mail and those have some wonderful and simple recipes that I've been trying.

The past few times it seems we've eaten out (particularly at one of my favorite restaurants) I have not been very pleased at all. One time I was there with a friend and we had the worst service. The other night we went there as a family and it was terrible. Took forever for our waitress to come and greet us, probably took about 10 minutes after that to get our drinks. My food was not cooked how I wanted it, my dressing tasted like it had dish soap in it, etc, etc. I felt like such a complainer but when we go out and pay about $40 a meal I want to be satisfied! While going through it all I really realized it was almost happening for a reason. I enjoy being home. Lately I have hated to go anywhere because I've just been enjoying our home. I enjoy eating at home with my family. Sure, I love to eat out too, but I think maybe on more special occasions, just so to make them more special. I don't always enjoy cooking, especially when I have 6 hand trying to attack the food I'm preparing, but I'm working on that! But I know how important it is to eat a meal at home as a family and to make some memorable moments from those times. So, instead of wasting so much stinkin' money to all of these dining establishments I'm going to try to do what I am supposed to do and cook a good, healthy meal for my family. So with that said- I have a November menu to plan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With this food program with the kids, we've been having to cook at home a LOT more. The crockpot has helped a LOT!! I'd love to share some recipes if you'd like.

Christy

DDanielle said...

I get that Kraft mail too. Most of the time I have to adjust it (usually to salty etc), but it is rather simple.
I would love to eat at home more, but we have been getting showings at dinner time.....I usually have just enough time to vaccumm and get the dog out of the house.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jamers! I wish I had more time to start cooking real meals too. I can remember all sorts of meals my mom and dad would make us growing up. All my kids are going to remember are chicken nuggets, hotdogs, and meatballs. Terrible!

Bethany said...

Cooking more at home and eating out less is something we also have been working on. We had gotten pretty good at it too, until my last month of pregnancy! Then I was just so tired...

But I've started back up. I enjoy the family time we have at the dinner table. (We do not eat in front of the television except one Friday a month and we always eat together.) It surprises me how many families do not eat together as a family. They are missing out on so much!