Monday, October 15, 2007

All about My Trip

It is amazing to fly in an airplane. As we flew out I could see this tiny strip of blue. On both sides were white. As we flew higher the blue grew and the white began to disappear. Amazing. The whole flight to Memphis we flew along the Mississippi River. That was neat. I hadn't flown in years, so I was a bit freaked out at take-off, but my fears soon were gone as I watched in amazement the beauty of God's creation.

Wednesday I flew home and was greeted by my mom and Aunt Gloria. My next treat was a delicious pasty for dinner. It was so nice to be 'home'! My mom had painted her downstairs and it was a treat to see that!

Thursday I visited my dad and stepmom. We had a great visit with one another and I wish it could have been longer. I also went to visit my mom's parents. My Grandma is very hard of hearing so after awhile of shouting it is a bit annoying, but I enjoyed it. My Grandma plays favorites and I hate to say it, but I'm one of them. She does NOT allow anybody to take her picture but I was able to get quite a bit with her! It was quite a surprise. That day I was able to get a sub from the Ambassador, a local restaurant that everybody seems to need to eat at when they return to the area. Oh, that morning my mom and I went out to breakfast- it was delicious! We watched the movie, "Facing the Giants" that night. I had seen it before but I really wanted my parents to watch it.

Friday my mom, Aunt Gloria and I went shopping in Marquette (the biggest town up there). This is the same town I went to college in. It is the only town in the U.P. that I could see myself moving back to. We went to Target, Kohl's and Shopko. I found some clothes, and of course Mom bought some stuff for herself, my kids and I. We ate lunch at the Portside and got coffee from Starbucks. Oh, we also went to Menards, which is like a Home Depot or Lowe's. It was nice to see Marquette again and to shop with my family!

Saturday we stayed at home. It was relaxing and I felt so lazy. My mom and I went for a walk in the afternoon. I wanted to try to get pictures of all of the fall colors. I hadn't seen that in years- since I lived in the U.P. it seems. It was such a treat to see the beauty of it all. By the time we got back home it was so foggy. It was strange. The weather while I was home was bizarre. It was pretty warm- I barely needed a jacket! But, it rained a LOT and was often very foggy. My mom and I got to make dinner together that night, to serve my stepdad and one of their friends. It was nice working alongside her in the kitchen.

Sunday we went to church. My mom has a new Pastor and it was a treat to hear him. I had heard so much about him. My Aunt Gloria surprised us by showing up! The pastor had an awesome sermon on marriage and also talked about TV and how it influences our thoughts. They had coffee and Nisu afterwards and it was nice to see some of the 'older' folks. Old Sunday School teachers, friends' parents, etc. That afternoon my mom and I went four-wheeling. I can't remember the last time I'd done that. As a child I'd often get four-wheeler and snowmobile rides with my aunts and uncles. We went for the longest ride and I was able to get some beautiful shots of the colors. We even saw a deer that didn't even get freaked out by the noise of the machine. It just stood there and looked at us while I snapped pictures. We got home just in time...it began to POUR. Which was weird because when we left home it was so sunny.

Monday I was ready to come home. As we were driving up to the airport (my mom lives over an hour away) I got a call that my flight was cancelled. It was quite foggy up there, but I didn't think it was that bad. I was so bummed and freaked about who would care for my children the next day (they had rescheduled me for the next morning). I was on pins and needles all day and wondering how the fog would lift by 7 am if it was foggy at 2 pm! I sat at my Aunt's house for awhile while my mom visited a friend in the hospital. Their cousin came to visit and we had a great visit with her, even ending our visit in prayer!

Tuesday morning hailed clear as can be. You could see the stars shining in the sky! It was amazing. Of course, Monday night got quite windy and rained cats and dogs so I wondered if that would push the fog away. Praise God it did and I was able to fly home! I really love flying and enjoyed my flights. I even like the layovers as I love to watch the hustle and bustle of the airport and see all the various types of people. It was so good to see my kids, but once they gave me a quick hug it was all about the surprise I had bought them. Stinkers! Oh, and there were a few nights where I heard mice upstairs. One night I went down on the couch and another I slept with the light on. There's no way I wanted them in my room! Stinkin' rodents. My poor mom's gotta live with them. Yuck.

Thank you mom for allowing me to come and visit. Thank you Zach for letting me go and watching the kids! You are a wonderful husband- there are not many men out there that would do that!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you had such a fun, full weekend. Trips up there always seem to be full of hustling here and there to get in a visit with everyone. My sister and her husband always like to get subs from Ambass but I could take or leave them. I like Portside....my mom and I ate there once. I could never live in Marquette...for some reason that area of the UP depresses me. Weird, huh?

Amie said...

We feel the same way about Marquette, it's the only place we could really see ourselves living at in the U.P. Right now anyway.

Sounds like a great trip. I had to laugh about the quick hug from the kids, I know mine would do the same thing!

Jessi said...

I'm so glad you had a good visit Jamie! I ate at Portside once and I loved it! I like Marquette too, and the Houghton/Hancock area...I miss the UP!

momanna98 said...

Glad you had a great time. I totally understand about your grandma. Mine is hard of hearing, too, and I just don't like shouting! So I usually don't say much. AND she also plays favorites, and I'm not one of them. She never liked me, not sure why... She prefers my younger brother who can't keep a job and takes advantage of everyone... You would think she would like me somewhat. I'm the one giving her all the great grandbabies!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yes it was a nice visit. About the prayer - just to let you know, Auntie called very excited and said that prayer was answered. Thought out you would like to know.

Risa said...

There is a good possiblity that Bob could get a job in Marquette after school...but we aren't sure we would want to go back up there permanently...we loved the UP but there was also just as much that we didn't love!