Friday, October 12, 2007

Not Quite an Update...Yet

I'm just not knowing what to all update on about my trip. I've got pictures to share also. I'll get around to it...soon. I had over 100 emails to filter through! But I wanted to share a funny.

Last night I took Princess out to teach her to ride her bike. The girl is 7 and still can't ride a bike!!! See, in our old house we didn't have sidewalks and people flew down the street...just not safe 'biking grounds'. Anyway, Little Man was out with us too. Across the street is an African American family. The boy, who was older than my children, was out on his bike. His dad was sitting on his porch. Little Man says "HI" to the boy and then says, "Will you be my new friend?" or something like that. The boy says sure and Little Man turns to me and says, "Mom, that brown black boy said he'd be my friend." I about died and really had to stifle a laugh. I know the dad heard too. I didn't even look over there, but just said, "Well that's nice of him." I'm sure the dad was chuckling too. I'm sure they understood it was not meant in a bad way...he was simply stating the boys' skin color. Oh, it is funny the things these kids say.

4 comments:

Me said...

Kids always say the darndest things, don't they :)

Anonymous said...

Buddy has said "chocolate person" before. I suppose theyre bound to notice a difference skin color but have no idea that there may be a problem with referring to it. They're just describing to the best of their ability. I've heard of AA children referring to whites as "ghosts". Hey, whatever works!

Melissa said...

My son did the same thing. He called his kindergarten friend, the brown guy. He didn't even remember his name for the first several weeks of school. He just kept calling him the brown guy. LOL Kids are so cute!

Amie said...

I am alway nervous about Elijah saying stuff about people. When we were in the store the other day, he was staring at this REALLY large woman and I was so afraid he was going to say something...fortunately that time he didn't!