Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Rest of the Week...

We've been keeping busy and having fun but I wanted to write a bit. A few nights ago we did some Resurrection eggs. I found the idea in Little Man's school book and had to try it. Here is what you do:

Gather 12 plastic eggs and number them 1-12. Fill each with the corresponding message, scripture and small item as listed below. Open the eggs in order, and discuss how each relates to the scripture. (I had the eggs for the children to find, since we don't do 'Easter').
1. Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey. The people waved palm branches. Matt. 21:1-11 Piece of a palm branch
2. Mary poured expensive perfume on Jesus' head. John 12:2-8 Small cloth with perfume
3. Jesus shared the Last Supper with His disciples. Matt. 26:17-19 Piece of cracker or cereal
4. Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Matt. 27:3 Three dimes
5. Jesus carries His own cross. John 19:17 A cross
6. Soldiers place a crown of thorns on Jesus' head. John 19:2 Small, thorny branch
7. Soldiers cast lots for Jesus' clothes. John 19:23 Swatch of fabric
8. Jesus was nailed to the cross. John 19:18, 37 A nail
9. They gave Jesus vinegar mixed with gall on a sponge to drink. Matt. 27:34 Piece of sponge
10. Spices were used to prepare Jesus for burial. John 19:40 Some whole cloves
11. The stone covering Jesus' tomb was rolled away. John 20:1 A small rock
12. The tomb was empty- Jesus was alive! Matt. 28:6 (Leave egg EMPTY)

I thought this was so much fun and so did the kiddos! Today we are going to make Resurrection cookies. We've never made these before and it will be neat to see them in the morning!

We went to New Orleans on Thursday. Got stuck in major traffic over a bridge as they were doing some roadwork, so that put us over an hour behind when we should have gotten there. Oh well, we still had a really great time, as you can see from the slide show. We even ran into some friends from church there! My mom had never been to NO, not like it is much to see, especially since Katrina. We drove through the French Quarter and even drove down Bourbon street. I love the architecture of the buildings, but it is not the safest or Godliest place, that is for sure! Those balconies with the plants hanging...ah, it was beautiful!

Yesterday Zach and my mom went to shoot his 9 mm. If you know my mom, you know she likes to hunt, but she's not too familiar with a handgun! It was so nice that they went and did something like that- the first time ever! They're definitely improving on mother/son-in-law relations!

Then last night Zach & I went on a date. Thanks to Christine, my dear sister in Christ (whom I've never met in person), for the gift card for Cracker Barrel. So, we went to eat and then walked around Barnes & Noble. I know, I know, how geeky- but it was a totally free date! Free baby-sitter (Nanny), free dinner, free browsing the books. Boy, could I spend a lot of money in a bookstore! Zach wanted to go to the movies but we really couldn't afford that. And we didn't just want to come back home! After we got home we put the kids to bed and played Life and Scrabble. I, of course, won both times. No conceit going on here;)

This morning my dear mother cleaned my oven. It was so gross. I really need a self-cleaning oven, but at least I have one that works! I am so thankful that she did that for me. I couldn't do it when I was pregnant and I just didn't feel like doing it. She is such a wonderful mom!

Not sure what the plans are for the rest of the day. We were supposed to garage sale, but there weren't any advertised, plus it is so chilly out. I know Kelly is supposed to be driving through our area this weekend, so I may possibly get to meet her!

Hope you all have a blessed Resurrection Sunday! He is Risen!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cant believe your mom cleaned your oven... way to go dar... your getting like your older sister now helping the girls, way to go sis...
i have never cleaned an oven but i do alot of other things to help out...
wow the egg hunt sounded like alot of fun.. have to tell jodi to check it out
i hope you all have a wonderful weekend, which i am sure it will be alot better weather wise then what we have here in the UP....
take care
love and miss you all
aunty gloria

Becca said...

Oh my goodness! Resurrection Eggs!! When I had my first job after college at an ad agency one of my accounts was Berean Christian Bookstore and I remember doing an Easter flier for them that had a set of Resurrection eggs with the little charms in them! I had totally forgotten about those! Sounds like you guys had fun!

I didn't know your mom liked to hunt! Aura's probably a great spot for that....we always used to watch the deer behind my grandparents' house while cooling off after a sauna.

Risa said...

I have always wanted to do Resurrection eggs for Easter with the kids but never wanted to pay the price you pay for them at the sore! Makes me want to take a ride to WalMart and get some eggs today for next year...might have to do that! :) Thanks for the idea! :)