Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Life is Like a Box of Chocolates, right?

I was going to post about how well things are going. About how my children have been getting along so well. How Little Man no longer whines and cries about every little thing. About how Princess doesn't antagonize her brothers or manipulate them any longer. About how Cuddly boy no longer streaks through the house or poops his pants or is on the toilet every 5 minutes. I was going to say how my life is just like a wonderful, yummy box of chocolates that everybody wants to dig in to. But then I'd be lying.

I don't know if its all the change or the fact that we're really not in a schedule but my children are out of control. Of course, I haven't obtained a whole lot of control with dealing with them either. Then I wonder about posting things like that on my blog. Will somebody turn me in for not being the perfect put-together mother? See, now I wonder about things like that. "Should I even post this" I ask myself. What will people think of me? You see, I know there are people out there that know me in real life that read my blog and remain 'anonymous'. What will they think?

I know most of us have days and moments like this. But there are some who have it "together". Maybe they don't have children so they don't know what its like. Or maybe they don't have three who like to fight and compete over every little thing. Maybe they don't have kids who all want to be a certain character on TV and continually fight over that.

So you see, my life is not like a box of chocolates lately. It's quite the opposite. I sit and think how wonderful it would be if my children got to go and visit grandparents for a week. Or if I could take a vacation- alone or with just Zach. I've only ever been away from them for a couple of nights at a time. I know, I know I should accept that I'm a mother and this is what I'm to do. I don't get a break when my children get shooed off to public school. I don't have a quiet moment to sit and do bills. No wonder my checkbook cannot balance!

So I sit and dream. What would it be like to get on a plane by myself for a little 'me' vacation? Would it be just what I need? Would I be able to sit and dwell in the quiet presence of the Lord? To think on my life and seek what He desires of me?

But no tickets are reserved or vacation in store. So, I will do what I can to press on and fight the fight. We will get through this and order will once again be maintained. Soon we'll start school again and that should settle things down somewhat (I hope). And I will get through this. Tomorrow is a new day.

Maybe tomorrow I won't have to deal with a whiny boy crying about not being able to put his Superman outfit on, while not bothering to ask for help. Maybe I won't have to deal with gagging as I rinse out poopy underwear. Maybe a little girl will for once not complain about things her brothers do. Maybe I will finally have it together and be the perfect June Cleaver. Maybe.

16 comments:

Angie said...

All I gotta say is "I love you girl!" You make me laugh and when I read about your real life I do chuckle under my breath just thinking of how crazy we all are...but can you imagine how boring life would be if we were all June Clever's or Stepford Wives.

Love ya!!!

Me said...

Don't you worry about what people are thinking of you. Believe me...there have been SOOOO many times where I just want to blog and vent how Big Sissy's tickin' me off, testing my patience, making me want to commit suicide, but I don't because everyone else seems so put together that I don't want to seem like the bad mother. I know I don't have 3 kids...heck, I barely have 2 yet, but my nerves still get grinded with the best of 'em and do every day. You're most certainly not alone and don't ever feel like you're a whiner or complainer. If you can't vent on here where there are so many parents who totally can relate, where can you vent to?

And I hear ya on the vaca thing. That's why I went to Vegas a few weeks ago...and it was soooo nice! I could definitely do it again. You should attempt something--if even for a few days.

Amie said...

Any parent who cannot relate to this post...well there can't be any parents that don't relate to this post!

I keep hearing parents say they can't wait for school to start, sometimes I am so jealous! I keep thinking that this year TWO of my kids would be getting on that bus.

Angel at Aduladi' said...

SING IT SISTER! I have observed that the ones who seem to have it all together are the ones who are internally falling apart the most. The facade has just not yet cracked.

There are days I am convinced that the kids would be better off with DCS, because I am a monster mommy. But then the mood will change. God is gracious that way.

The Lord created your children just for you and Zach. You are the one He had in mind since the beginning of time to raise those babies. AND you are doing a great job.

None of us have it all together. Ever. But your children will look back and call you blessed. Because you love them with your entire being and that is what ultimately will sustain you on the crappy days.

We are here cheering you on!!! Never fear posting about the bad days.

Anonymous said...

The box of chocolates is full of surprises - you never know what you're gonna get. And wouldn't life be dull if we did know?!!... You're doing a great job with your children, 'cos you're there for them. I taught at a State school today - you so don't want your kids to be exposed to what even I was exposed to today - thank God I only sub!!! I felt like sending notes home with each child, telling their parents to find alternative arrangements for their children's education... if only... And yes! Tomorrow IS a new day... Breathe in, breathe out...

DDanielle said...

I think you are doing just great under the circumstances. Any kind of change is trying....even positive changes like your move. Its OK to try and get a little "me" time in. I don't know what I would do if Chad didn't make me do that every once in a while and I only have one kid (well and one on the way and a dog). Go ahead and just be you. That is the best thing about your blog.

Melissa said...

Your kids sound a lot like mine. I totally hear ya! I don't think any mother can have it together 100% of the time.

Choppzs said...

I am the perfect mother. I should totally write a book!


hehehehehehe, shit girl, I am sooooo far from it! lol

Poop, biting, screaming, whining, geesh, I totally understand.

And if I did write a book, it would probably be about how I locked my kids in their room, and turned up the radio full blast so I couldn't hear them screaming to get out! lol

Bethany said...

I can't imagine that any parent would judge you based on that post. Now, some people without children might, but who cares?

Hope things settle down for you soonish girl. I know how you feel!

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
My week has been like this as well.
The baby doesn't seem to want to nurse and gets really mad when I try to nurse her! The toddler whines for attention and the other two seem to fight about everything!
My dh took me out to a movie tonight and that was just what we needed. We went and saw Hairspray and it was pretty cute, funny and entertaining!
Keep it real but take time to have fun with dh when you are able. Take a 2 day vacation with dh while you can! You are not nursing and if dh can get time off go for it!
Kim

Kelly @ Growing.Learning.Playing. said...

Hang in there, hon, you are doing fine! Hugs!

Anna said...

You are NOT alone:)

Jodie said...

Um yeah, I had to clean out Jayda's poopy underwear yesterday too. Brady and LM are soo similiar. Brady is the biggest whinest baby I know. I wonder what is up with them?! Makes me feel better that you have the same problems. Misery loves company you know. :)

Anonymous said...

I so know what you're talking about with the level of stress tho I sorta resent the dig at those of us who "shoo our kids off to public school". We're not all meant to homeschool, girl! I admire you for doing it but it is not for me....I'd go insane....I really would!

Jamie said...

Hey Rebecca, Sorry wasn't trying to offend anybody. And I'm not saying we all need to homeschool. Just that some days I would LOVE to 'shoo' them off there!!! ;)

Risa said...

My kids seem to out of control lately too...I think it's mostly to do with the move and it getting back to school time but we haven't started YET! The neighbor kids are gone to school all day so they don't play with them until the afternoon and by then they are pretty sick of each other! I know that's kinda terrible to say but lately I feel like a boxing or wrestling referee telling them to go back to their own corners only to do it again in a few minutes!

Believe me, we are right there with you! :) Hope things are looking up by now! :)