Friday, August 10, 2007

The Shed

Last night I did something I thought I'd never do. I ate food from The Shed. Supposedly its some of the best barbecue down here, but we haven't tried the barbecue. You see, when we lived in NC we went to this place called Wilbur's. Wilbur's is this southern barbecue place where all these famous people have gone. We hated it. It was not the kind of barbecue we had in mind. So, we assumed MS barbecue was the same and haven't tried it for the three years we've been here!

Where we've moved to, pretty much across the highway is this place called The Shed. Well, it looks exactly like a shed. But word has it its the best. We kept telling ourselves we wouldn't eat there, that we'd be wasting our money on food we didn't like. Then Zach came home from work yesterday, lifts up his shirt and says, "You see why I have this here" (referring to his protruding belly). "It's because I ate some food from The Shed and I couldn't stop". He tells me how delicious he thought it was but I didn't believe him at all. But he was serious!!! I honestly thought he was pulling my leg about eating their food.

So, we decided to give it a try. We ended up taking it home versus eating there as it was PACKED! I would like to eat there at some point to get the 'total Shed experience' though. The place just cracked me up. And yet while I was gazing around at the junk everywhere I couldn't help but think that my original perception of the place was wrong. After all, if we had to wait in line like 15 minutes just to order its gotta be good, right?

It was SOOOO good!!! Surprisingly even the kiddos liked it, besides maybe Cuddly boy who eats nothing anyway! It wasn't the BBQ like they have in NC but true BBQ. I got a huge sampler platter- may as well try it all- and everything was delicious. So, I think I've now experienced true Mississippi barbecue! Take a look at the website and read the story behind how it opened...I thought it was quite interesting!

5 comments:

Anna said...

I've heard of the Shed, I think from food network (which I watch all the time:) I'm kinda in the mood for bbq now, haven't had it in a long time:)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We went with my parents while we lived there and we all hated it. I don't know if we went on a bad night or what. My brisket was more like BBQ soup with a few bits of meat in it. Maybe the main cook was on vacation.
Sherry Randolph

Risa said...

Almost everytime I read one of your posts I want to come down and visit! This only makes it more enticing! And I have never wanted to visit Mississippi...who does? What's there that's so exciting? Except you guys, of course! :)

Angie said...

The first time we went to The Shed, I was pregnant with Claire and still so very very sick. But it was when Nick was in ALS and it was a family thing to attend. The smell just didn't sit well with me so the next we went back, it still reminded me of that.

We had to get use to Wilbur's in NC---but LOVE it! I had a hard time getting use to their version of BBQ sauce. But, now...yummy! We are thinking of cook that style for our Christmas dinner next summer---Nick & I volunteered last night...so funny that I came home and see a post with Wilbur's in it!!

Glad you got to experience The Shed finally--they have some great music some nights!

Jodie said...

LOL this post made me laugh. I'm sure my husband would go NUTS over that place. If we ever visit - you'll have to take us there. ;)