Monday, August 27, 2007

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

That, my friends is the question.

With my first two children I did not co-sleep. They slept in the 'family' cradle next to the bed until they outgrew it and then went in the crib in their own room. With baby number 3 I decided to try co-sleeping. I read this great book on breastfeeding/natural child spacing/co-sleeping. It was a great read!

The first year wasn't so bad. That was even with a queen size bed! I think I tried a few times to put the little peanut in his crib but he wouldn't have it. He would nap with me during the day. And it worked.

Here we are three years later. You have to lay with the boy in order for him to fall asleep. Sometimes at nap time he'll wake up right after you leave the bed. So, there goes the nap (or my middle of the day sanity). Bedtime is non-existent. As I type I am laying in my bed. He has been up and down the stairs between daddy and I. He has bothered his brother and sister. He has not been in his bed. He's pooped in his diaper. And now he lays next to me twirling my hair and whispering. I have to admit that it is sweet- when he is sleeping. But when he's awake, its well past his bedtime and I'm in need of some quiet solitude I am not a happy person. Maybe this is why I've been having so many of my own temper tantrums lately.

So, co-sleeping can be great and it is sweet cuddling up next to the sweet baby. But after 3 years and no longer time for myself or hubby and I, my next baby will be sleeping across the hall!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing! At 7 she still wants to sleep with me every night. With the rest I let them co sleep at night for 2 or 3 months until we stopped waking at night so much. Then I got the sweet cuddle time, some sleep, and then when I was reading alone time with dh. Rough decision. I used to think it was clear cut, but now I know better!

Amie said...

Hope you get it figured out soon, so everybody can get some good sleep.

Jodie said...

LOL poor baby (yes I'm talking about you). I totally feel your pain. This whole summer it seems like 1 or both kids have been in the bed with us. They don't start out that way but between 1 and 3 in the morning they usually end up there. Its driving me nuts. Short of making them stay in their own rooms crying, I really don't know what to do. Maybe they need to cry and we need to be tougher. ???

Choppzs said...

I have never done the co-sleeping thing. Hubs is completely against it! lol He says our bed is for us, and their beds are for them. But we did the same as you. We had a bassinet that was at the end of our bed, and each kid slept in our room for the first 3 or 4 months then moved to their rooms in their cribs. I don't think I could handle them in the bed with us. It's bad enough when I yell at Hubs for taking up to much room, but to have to do that then deal with a baby imbetween??? Uhhhhuhhh, no way! lol Plus I'd be afraid Hubs would squish the baby or something since he's such a log and doesn't wake up for anything! lol I like my bed to much to share it with anyone! lol

ChicoryChick said...

We cobedded with my last two (especially my last one)until he was 4 months, then he moved into the crib in his brother's room, but still napped with me. I dont remember any major adjustments with that, but it may be why at 4 years of age I find him in his brother's bed at night and is very much a snuggly boy. Does he have his own room? If so maybe moving him in with his brother would. I also need my solitude, naps etc or I am CRANKY (not a good thing), when I am cranky I tend to be angry and yell more....anyway I lost my train of thought and forgot was I was going to say....hope you find the answer soon!

Anne said...

Sleep is very important, isn't it? :) We've never co-slept for long, though I did sleep with my babies at times during the first few months as they were colicky. I like having my own bed and bedroom too much! I hope you can figure out how to transition without too much trouble if that's what you're planning to do. It's hard when they can be so sweet and cuddly! And your little guy is cute!

Anonymous said...

I agree that G. should be sleeping in his own bed all night by now. Let him cry or what not!:) Have him come to my house and he will know where he is suppose to sleep. And didn't you know that being a mom you don't get to rest. Where did you come up with that idea that you get down time? A mom never gets down time:) Love you.

momanna98 said...

Good luck! I hope it comes easy for you!

Risa said...

I pretty much did it with Jozie and she seems to be okay but she does ask to sleep with me almost every night and she has no problems if I say sure!

I think it is probably all in a child's personality, I wouldn't give up if it's something that you really enjoyed and maybe after the second one is still hanging on you at 3 you can say enough is enough! LOL

razorbackmama said...

Amen, amen, and amen.

I like cuddling with my little ones. I do not like them HAVING to sleep with me in order to sleep period, though.

Bonding, schmonding. ;-)