Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Two Years

We all remember where we were on September 11. Some remember where we were when The Challenger had its accident and its crew members were killed. Some may remember when President Kennedy was assassinated. Do you remember where you were two years ago on this day?

The kiddos and I were in Panama City, Florida as I had evacuated for Hurricane Katrina. Meanwhile, Zach was 'sheltered' on the base right in the middle of the storm. I had no idea if he was ok. I didn't know if our house was still standing. I will never forget that day. It is so clear in my mind like it were yesterday. I remember taking the kiddos to I-Hop. I remember walking around the mall. And I remember trying to pretend that all was ok with the world as I sat at my friend Sheila's house waiting for news from my husband.

God watched over him. He watched over our home. He watched over our friends that also lived on the coast. But, some of those friends weren't as well off as us. Some lost complete homes and belongings. Some had to purchase new vehicles. Our lives were all turned upside down as we wondered what would happen next, where we went from here.

Most people forget about the devastation on the coast. They don't see that still to this day there are houses that have not been demolished. They don't see the cement slabs where once stood a one hundred year old beautiful Southern home. Or what about the people that were lost during that time, the ones who decided to 'ride out the storm' only to not survive?

God has worked through all of this destruction though. Because of the storm many have given their lives to Him. Many have given up jobs, moved across the country away from family and have come down to serve God and help restore the coast. To these amazing people I am thankful. If we look at things the right way, good can come out of every bad storm in life. The flooding in the Midwest, the tornado that ripped apart a small town in North Dakota, or tsunamis that hit far off lands. Through it all, if you look real closely you will see the hand of God and the work He is doing even in the midst of devastation.

3 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I would not have known and I could not answer your question.

I remember feeling so far removed from the situation being so many thousands of miles away, but you are right. Katrina involved "people" and families. Real people who love and laugh and cry and fear.

We got the worst of it on the nightly broadcasts. Up north we were shown the looting and violence in the Super Dome and horror stories, but were rarely to never shown the stories of the people. Just the mobs. It made it easy to turn cold toward the situation.

Thank you for reminding me that the media view was not the real view. That soldiers were riding out the storm on base and souls were lost.

DDanielle said...

I remember checking your blog everyday during that time. I remember feeling so helpless just watching the destruction. However I also remember seeing the good in people in the end. you are right you can see God's hand in the healing.

momanna98 said...

Wow. I have been reading your blog for a year now??? I believe I started while you were talking about the 1 year anniversary. Man, time flies....