Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Story of the Flying 'Palmetto Bug' (aka roach)

Our first night in our house the house was strewn with boxes. We stayed up until about 1 or 2 am to unpack and get the boxes out of the house. So, then our stuff was everywhere. It was complete chaos if I've ever seen it! That was Tuesday.

Wednesday our bug man came. I tried to move what I could away from walls and such. He's a great 'bug guy' so I knew he'd do a thorough job. It was a strenuous day. My legs got quite the workout those first few days, going up and down those stairs. They were hurting terribly (shows how out of shape I am). Wednesday night as I was trying to find out if Jodie was ok (she lives in the Twin Cities area) Zach was talking on the phone to a friend. All of a sudden he sees a roach. He kills it. About 10 minutes later, while I'm still on my search for information and he's still talking football he sees another one. We do NOT like roaches. He is terrified of them, especially since one tried to crawl in his mouth when we were staying in TLF back in '04 when we moved here. Story for another time (I can't remember if I've blogged about that). So, this second one goes behind the TV and then we see it crawling up the wall. By this point I'd gotten a hold of Jodie and found out she was ok and had to frantically hang up the phone. I'm standing in the middle of the living room and Zach's about to walk up to kill the stupid bug when it FLIES at us!!! I SCREAMED and ran upstairs into Princess' room (she was already in bed). Let me say that we were tempted to stay at a hotel or sleep on the floor at our old house. We ended up keeping a light on when we went to bed and all of the kiddos slept with us. I did not want roaches crawling upon my kiddos in their beds!!! Call us chickens, but there is nothing more disgusting to me than a gigantic flying roach. The next morning there were two dead ones downstairs and since then we haven't seen any. I know Mr. Bug Man's poison works wonders! Then yesterday morning Zach saw a black widow in the kitchen when he awoke. Today I've seen at least 10 earwigs crawling around. I can handle earwigs! Roaches. Poisonous spiders. No way. I just hope that we don't get mice next. Those are reserved to visit me when I visit at my mom's house! And these southerners (no offense to y'all) can call them Palmetto Bugs or whatever fancy name they want, but a roach is a roach. And I don't want to hear, 'It doesn't matter how clean you are down here you still get them' because in 3 years we didn't have 1 roach in our last house!!! But, being military housing I guess you never know.

11 comments:

Choppzs said...

Ok, first off, are you connected to anyone? If you are in townhouses, then no matter how clean you are, you will get them. If your neighbors are pigs or just even have them, then you'll get them. That's what happened to us in NC. I am like you, and any other Mleko, a clean freak. But because the neighbors were pigs, and had them, we got them no matter how much we paid the bug guy or how often. Or like in Hawaii, the climate and terrain were ripe for field mice and they kept coming into the house we had there. It's just how it goes in certain areas. Can't get rid of certain critters! You should do some reasearch and find out what they are good for....lol....ummm...probably nothing but scaring the crap out of you! lol

Oh and I feel you on the black widows. They have been staying away lately, since the bug guy just came, but about a month before he's due, they all seem to creep back out again. Just watch your shoes, and any dark, cool places. That's where they like to hide!

Amie said...

If you are connected to another house, it does make a difference. Kylie had roaches in her NC apartment, and she is thee CLEANEST, neat freakiest person I know. LOL

The black widows would freak me out big time! Any spider for that matter.

Anyways, I can't believe how fast you guys can upack! Glad to hear you all moved in and back online.

Me said...

Oh hell no!!! I don't do spiders either...especially those! Hubs would absolutely FREAK OUT!!! And bugs....ewwww....I'm glad we're semi-safe...knock on wood.

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I think I need to go and shower now. Uggh! I am going to be thinking about spiders now all night, LOL!

We do not have roaches much up here (and the ones we have cannot fly, I hope), but growing up in the DC area we had big wolf spiders and they unnerved me to no end. I think a black widow would have me in a straight jacket muttering unintelligible sentences while banging my head against a padded wall.

Congrats on your move! I look forward to seeing you blogging again!

DDanielle said...

Bugs generally don't bother me to much....BUT Roaches are just ugly things and I think I would freak to see one, also once you get into multiples then its super creepy. We have a crawl space so we do get mice from time to time. The cat helps take care of it, however she gets offended when Chad catches them and disposes of them.

Risa said...

All I can say is that I'm glad we are moving to a cooler climate!!!

momanna98 said...

Hmm.... It's a good thing that they took forever to "clean" that house...... a lot of good that did...

Jamie said...

Yes, we're in a duplex, but connected through the garage. In NC we lived in a duplex where bedrooms were connected and we didn't have one roach- we didn't have pest control either. We just 'bombed' the house before we moved in and put those roach bait things out. Awoke to another one of those lovely things this morning. If I see any more I swear I'm calling the housing people!!!

Anonymous said...

What is wrong with all you chickens with the bugs. How much bigger are we compared to them little things. Makes me laugh to read your friends comments. lollollololololololollloollll

Anonymous said...

Hey you, I haven't seen your pets in a few days now. I bet now I will find one tomorrow! I think I may be getting use to them as I don't freak out so much, just take them and get them out in the field for some other hungry critter!

Anonymous said...

Ewww...I've never had to deal with roaches...but we do have huge black crickets and lots of spiders (dady long leg variety) and box elder bugs and other assorted critters. I hope you don't see many more!

LOL, Darlene! You don't just kill 'em?

Risa, where in SD are you moving?? last time I was there it was about 100 degrees across most of the state! That's way hotter than IN!