Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Freedom and Flexibility

I feel like a whole new woman this school year and I love it! No, I haven't nailed that patience thing and I'm not a saint because I homeschool (seriously guys, people say this stuff to me). I have learned to be more flexible. Last year, at least at the beginning until I lost the baby, I would have freaked about not getting everything done in one day. No, we had to do every lesson every day. Then I lost Malachi and life really changed, even for our homeschool. We didn't school for about a month and then I was scrambling in the summer months to finish so we could have somewhat of a break.

We had our break. Now we're back into the school year. I was nervous about having two 'in' school. Let me tell you- school here has changed! Sure, every day we try to do our lessons, but it doesn't bother me if we don't get something done. The other day we didn't do math. Yesterday we didn't do history. Today we didn't get to spelling. And I'm NOT freaking out!!! It's a miracle!

Today Princess had to have an 'experience' to write about. So we put on our shoes and walked to the pond, talking of what we saw and heard. It was wonderful. It was LIFE. It was learning! Yesterday at the grocery store I even Incorporated a bit of learning into our escapade. We just seem more relaxed...or I should say I do. And if mama ain't relaxed ain't nobody relaxed, right?

Little Man isn't yet getting how to read words. He's learning his letters and his sounds, but to put them together he can't get it. So I've stepped back and I'm working with him. I think if it were last year and this were happening I would have freaked! But I'm being patient and enjoying teaching him and watching him learn.

It's not about how fast you go through it. It's about immersing yourself in it so you understand it. It's about enjoying what you are learning while enjoying one another. It's about being flexible. And just like the McD's saying...I'm lovin' it!

6 comments:

Amie said...

Oh man, can I relate! Last year, I purchased that curriculum and got so stressed trying to follow it. It sucked all the enjoyment out of learning for Isaac (and for me). This year, I have a book with basic skills they should be learning each year and I'm finding my own way to teach them. Sooooo much better. Last year, Friday was always a relief. This year, we all actually miss school during the weekend.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Jamie!! I can understand the whole patience and relaxed part. I remember trying to show Melina how to do something and would get so frustrated and then she totally lost it. Glad to hear that everything is going smoother and you are all enjoying it. Keep up the great work girl!!

Shari

Risa said...

I'm glad to hear things are going so good for you. People tell me the same thing about being a saint to HS...I tell them it''s not me, that they just aren't crazy enough to do it like I am! LOL

I have relaxed a bit this year, and I'm sure I would have been more BUT now that we live in SD we have standardized tests and I'm just worried that my kids won't pass or something like that. I know I should probably get involved in a HS group and ask those kinds of questions but I haven't done that yet. From what I understand the one group here in town isn't very active and the one that I really want to be involved in is about 50 miles away...I guess that's what happens in Small Town, America! LOL I suppose I could get involved in the one here in town and MAKE it more active by getting involved and bringing new ideas from my "big city" experiences. We'll see how the next couple of weeks go. :)

Anna said...

Glad everythings going well for you this year. And yes all of you wonderful homeschoolers are saints!:) I wish I could do it, but honestly I enjoy having a little peace and quiet during the day!!:)

Christine said...

Awesome, Jamie!Isn't it great to have a relaxed homeschool? :) I used to be so particular about making sure everything on my list was accomplished,daily, but God has been helping me with that. Prayers for you, dear friend in Christ.

Anne said...

That's great that you are lovin' it this year! Ha, ha, my problem was that I was a little too relaxed and the learning wasn't getting done! (Well, not relaxed exactly- but busy with the littles, I guess!) I think it's neat that you are teaching two of them now- how cute!