Saturday, June 23, 2007

Science & Nature


This scraggly little tree is the ONLY one in both our front and back yard. We have beautiful trees behind our fence (in the 'swamp') but NONE in our yard! I keep telling myself that the next house we live in we'll have a wonderful shade tree. I'm not sure what kind of tree this is, but I think the people who lived here before us planted it. They had all sorts of things growing, which we've since gotten rid of. I'm just not a gardener. I have no interest for it nor time to spend on it (and lets not get into the financial aspect). Anyway, below is a picture of the fruit growing on the tree. I need to take one inside and cut it open!



Today while Zach was mowing he found this toad. Fearless one is seen holding it (aka Cuddly boy). Well, I call him fearless but he is afraid of the bouncy castles and of our waterslide. Go figure. I'll take a bounce and slide over a toad any day! Zach also found this spider weaving this crazy looking web on the fence. Look at that interesting design! I remember when we read about spiders in one of the Nature Readers from Christian Liberty Press. Even if you don't homeschool you will LOVE these books! Even my 2 year old would listen as we'd learn about various insects, birds and other animals! They are very affordable too!!! Anyway, I'm going to have to dig out our books and see if we've read about this type of spider. We had a fun day in the pool and on the waterslide and now I'm exhausted! But, I realized I hadn't posted pictures in awhile (nor had I taken any in a long time) so I thought I'd show you we had a bit of science and nature in our own back yard!


5 comments:

ChicoryChick said...

I cant really tell from the picture, but I think you would have figured it out if it was peach etc.....from what I can see of the fruit, It might be persimmons.

Cool spider. We have these books, I should pull them out more often!

Anonymous said...

Oh those garder spiders are great! You need to blow at it or something, and see how it reacts. It has the coolest defense system.

Jodie said...

Neat pictures. :) If you want to widen your blog so that you have a wider area for your posts (pictures and text) let me know and I'll send you an email telling you how to do it.

momanna98 said...

What big ugly creatures! It is an awesome web, though.

Risa said...

We had a garden spider in our yard last year. I think I blogged about it! :) I will have to check my archives...that shouldn't take too long though! LOL