Friday, March 14, 2008

Productivity on the School Front

Today was quite the productive school day! We started out by saying the Pledge of Allegiance, then we sang some worship songs, read our Bible and prayed. I love singing with my children! I started it so it would help them to sing in church but I really enjoy worshipping the Lord with them in the morning! Little Man then begged to do his math! He wanted to do 3 pages, but only ended up doing 2. When I asked him this evening what his favorite part of today was he said math! I couldn't believe it was more fun than playing on the trampoline or playing kickball! We managed to get our other schooling done throughout the day too. It was a much improved day with Cuddly Boy. I dug in our school stash and found little things to occupy him at the table! He really enjoyed himself with a view finder, chalk and chalkboard, matching game, lacing shapes and coloring.

I have a placemat that's a U.S. map. I took it out because I thought I'd work with the boys on states while Princess was working on her English. For some reason Little Man always knows where Texas is! I think he knew where Michigan was too. In addition I taught them Florida, Mississippi, Iowa, Michigan and California. Cuddly Boy (who is only three and a half) was able to show Daddy about 4 states! It was awesome! So I think I'm going to work on all the children every day with that!

Princess really has a difficult time using her imagination, at least in school. She is in the planning stage of writing a story and had to come up with 3 characters. First she picked a monster, then a girl (who she named Else, but reminds me too much of Elsie Dinsmore) and a pig (who she wanted to name Piglet). She really could not come up with names! Sh wanted to pick the monster to write about but it seems like in her spare time recently she wrote of a monster so I told her to pick a different character and she chose the pig. Why is she so fascinated with monsters (movies she watches). I hate it!!!

I can see improvement in Little Man's reading. Though he still sounds out many words there are others he really is remembering. It is exciting to see and I look forward to the day when it all just clicks!

They were thrilled to go to the library today! I was a bit saddened that Princess didn't choose any of the younger aged short books like normal, but she chose chapter books. It's great, but it just shows how much she is growing up!

Oh and just to rub it in...tomorrow is supposed to get between 75 and 80 degrees! Time to shave the legs and bring out the shorts!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

75 degrees, how wonderful for you. Yesterday it was 45 degrees and I wanted to do a cartwheel. Can't wait for our weather to warm up.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the perfect schoolday. Whenever we have on of those, I wonder why EVERY day can't be like that. :-) It IS beautiful out, and I want to really appreciate it before we move into the cold............I hope that you and your family have some fun outdoor time this weekend.
Be blessed,
Lynn