Wednesday, June 18, 2008

We're getting there

We're well on our way to Iowa. The long stretch is behind us and we have 6 hours at the most left. Yesterday we drove to the MS-TN border and stayed the night. It takes forever to drive through MS!!! It went real well, considering we have no second parent in the vehicle to care for the kiddos. SpongeBob has become a way to pass time, thanks to the laptop;) It's really been my life saver!

Today we drove through the Ozarks. It was really pretty. Normally we'd take a different route but with the threats to the Mississippi River we took an alternate route. It's taken us through some small highways and backwoods looking places, but it has been a beautiful drive. We stopped on the border of Arkansas and Missouri for lunch and 'toured' a little caboose that was their visitor center. Under the caboose were about 4 kittens that the kiddos fell in love with. Booty Shaker and one really attached to one another and it was so cute. I have pictures and will post them another day.

I needed a snack stop so pulled off in Manchester. As I was pulling off of the highway I saw a sign for the Wilder House & Museum. So, we took some down time and toured Laura Ingalls Wilder's House. It was really neat and fun. We could have spent more time there but really wanted to get back on the road again so we weren't driving too late. That's the nice thing about splitting up the drive in three days- we can stop at a decent hour and relax.

I am excited to get to Iowa, our new home state. I can't wait to see our house in person! I can't wait to get to know the area. It will be nice to have the drive behind us!

Oh, I forgot to mention that Zach got a phone call yesterday morning stating that our stuff is already in Iowa!!! I'm SO thankful it made it there!

6 comments:

Jodie said...

Driving that long and far would be tiresome for sure! Sounds like you guys are making the most of it though. Good work. :) Almost there!

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

How neat you toured Rocky Ridge! I have wanted to make a trip there for over 2 years...even sorta planned to go on our way out west two summers ago but we went to the Ingalls' homestead in SD instead.

Glad to hear the trip's going well and almost over!!

DDanielle said...

Well color me jealous that you got to see Laura's house! It's nice to see you are taking everything in, how nice:-)

Risa said...

You'll have to come up and see us so we can go to Desmett where the Ingalls Homestead. We haven't gotten there yet but hopefully we will sometime before summer is over! :)

Amie said...

I really wanted to see that museum when I was in Missouri but didn't make it.