Monday, December 15, 2008

Baby, It's COLD outside!

Why is it I have a brand new home and 'issues'? Back in September when my parents were here they noticed our front door was installed crookedly, if that makes sense. The builders STILL haven't fixed the trim around the door! So last night I peeked out the window by the door to discover snow/wind. I felt quite a draft from above me and stuck my hand up by the corner of the door. I could feel SNOW on my hand! I was IN my house! So I emailed them this morning to tell them of my issue. I also told them about the major condensation on my windows (and the mold growing there). There's even some ice on the inside of the windows! I asked the neighbors the other day if there windows get that way and they said no. So why do ours? I don't have my house THAT toasty and warm!

When I got out of the shower I noticed the door in our room that leads to our upper deck. It had frost/ice on the inside of it! No wonder it is SO cold in my room! Then I looked up and lo and behold I could SEE outside from the upper corner! WHAT?!?! Can't they put these doors in straight???

4 comments:

DDanielle said...

Yeah, we have a new house and there are still issues. It just shows me every house new or old has issues, just for the next year the builder has to pay to fix them. One of the floorboards in the living room was cracked, so you would sink down when you step on it. They came and fixed it, but they didn't replace the floorboard (which I admit would have been a lot of work). They just braced it with another board under it. I can now feel an indent where it was but its not sinking now.
Oh there is also mold in our garage from a leak in the roof. Oh and the second day here our master bedroom ceiling started to leak because they forgot to put flashing on the roof. Just keep on the them, because they have to get that stuff fixed. Snow in your house is crazy.

Anna said...

That's terrible!! Make sure you keep bugging them until they fix it, or it will never get done!

Kim said...

I have the same issues with my house.I have forst inside of all my windows. My fench doors have snow or mist that comes in the bottom corner and makes my rug all wet. But you know how stupid base housing is. I called them once about frost being inside the windows. They just told me it's from the moisture in the house and the outside temps against the windows causing it. They didn't do anything about it. I would definitely keep on them to fix it. After all you're paying a lot of money for that house. It should be done perfect.

Babyface74 said...

If you don't get an answer or results this week, go to the building dept in your county and complain. It will get fixed. I would ever file a complaint with the BBB. You have been VERY patient. But the mold can lead to health issues. Not to mention the extra cost to warm a home that the wind is blowing through. Now you know why your electric bill doubled.

If you would like some help with this issue, I can talk to a local building inspector that is our friend and see what he has to say and what you should do to get things going. But I am pretty sure the Building Dept is a good place to start. They are the ones that issue fines when companies renig on their work. I know that is what they have done here. Hope that helps.