Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Well, the day just got

crazier? More annoying? Frustrating? I can't put my finger on the right word. Zach called me this afternoon to tell me that in June he's got to go TDY again- to Mississippi. He'll be gone from June 25-August 1. There goes our summer vacation home, our chance to finally make it to a family reunion and basically our whole summer. At least it is during the summer but geez...I was looking forward to having the summer together to 'explore' Iowa! And he doesn't have to work as much in the summers. Oh well, there's a reason behind it all I know.

Then he said he was coming home a bit early. The roads were getting kinda bad. Then I got a phone call from him- his car broke down on the interstate (at least he wasn't in an accident!). He knew he needed a new battery and bought one this weekend. I guess he put it in this morning but for some reason the car died while driving. So, he's gone right now to get it towed. Good thing one of his coworkers lives in Des Moines and was able to bring him home (I wasn't about to drag the kids out there). Why is it this junk always comes up before Christmas? Granted, we're done with our shopping but what about money for the scrumptious dinner and all that? I sure hope it isn't anything serious or too expensive! What a pain in the butt!

On the flipside I must say we have the best neighbors. They really look out for one another. This afternoon the neighbor next to us began snowblowing. Not only his own driveway and sidewalk- he did the sidewalk on the entire street on both sides!!! THEN another neighbor (the one we had over Saturday night) began to shovel people's sidewalks to their homes and Gene began to snowblow everybody's driveway! I think that is so sweet and thoughtful! Especially since Zach is off dealing with all this other junk tonight! Here he wanted to come home and play in the snow with the kids...he was able to for about 20 minutes. And thankfully our insurance covers towing...so it shouldn't cost a fortune there. As much as I feel discontent living here (just haven't quite gotten the settled feeling yet) I must admit its got great neighbors!

One more thing...where on earth is UPS today??? I'm supposed to get a package for Chatterbox. As soon as I wrote that the doorbell rang...and there's the package!

Oh yeah, all day Sweet Pea has been sucking her thumb! For the past week she's really been sticking her hands in her mouth! I thought she'd be a pacifier gal but maybe she'll be a thumb sucker after all...time will tell I guess! She's been nursing a lot lately- must be going through a growth spurt.

And I find it weird that everything here is getting cancelled. From my viewpoint out of the windows it really doesn't look bad out there. But I guess it is. There's not a whole lot of snow here but Zach said up in Ames there's a lot more. Glad I can just stay in my cozy home!

5 comments:

Me said...

Good neighbors are always a plus. We have some great ones too.

The UPS man visited me today too :)

Hope you get the car thing squared away. They can be such a pain in the rear.

DDanielle said...

wow what a bad day! Jamie being from the UP I am sure it takes a lot to be a "big" snowfall for you lol!
Seriously though that sucks about Zack being gone for so long in the summer.

Kim said...

That stinks about the car breaking down. I pray it's nothing major or too costly for you guys. It also stinks he has to be gone practically the whole summer. Maybe you guys will get a chance to do some vacationing either before or after he has to leave. That's nice you have nice helpful neighbors. We have new neighbors and they are nice and last week I saw their two boys shoveling my driveway. I thought that was really nice of them.

Amie said...

I'm bummed you guys won't make it to the family reunion :(

We've had neighbors snowblow our driveway too sometimes. It's so nice when they do that.

Becca said...

I haven't been here in a while....there are three things I can relate to here....waiting for a package (that was supposed to arrive yesterday and still hasn't come), the thumb sucking baby girl and neighbors with snowblowers....we got walloped with snow today and our neighbor helped snowblow while Pete was out there scooping/ We've got great neighbors too.