Monday, December 08, 2008

Well THAT was weird...

I was sitting on the couch reading history with the kids when I heard a knock on our back patio door. I thought it was weird, who'd knock on that door? The kids said it was a little girl! So I opened it and asked if I could help her. She told me her mom said she had to come here. I was like, "What?" I asked her where she lived and she pointed to the house behind me. I'd never met the lady and I think my kids maybe played outside with this girl once. She said something about her mom having work or school or something and that I have little kids so her mom told her to come here. Well, I had to let her in- I'm not mean enough to have some poor child sit out in the freezing cold! She is only in kindergarten! I tried to ask her some questions, as I sat trying to figure out what to do. I let the kids go play but they'd come back down so I talked to her some more and she told me her mom said she had to sleep here!!! She had this huge bag so I asked her if her clothes were in it and she told me she was wearing her PJs! When I asked where her dad was she said in jail for drugs (the guy that lives in the house behind me, I think he said he rents out a room or something to this lady, so he's not the dad). It just all sounded so weird and I was thinking how there's no way I'm having this strange girl sleep at my house! Not because of the girl but I'm thinking of the mother. What kind of unfit parent is she! The girl said she doesn't know where her mom works and that the mom is sleeping the night at a friends! I'm thinking, "Lady, I am NOT your babysitter!" I've got my own 4 children to take care of! Well, then I happened to look outside after the kids went back upstairs to play and I saw a car in the driveway. I asked her whose it was and she said she didn't know. I saw some lady talking to a guy next door so I yelled out my back door to ask if she was looking for girl. Apparently yes, she's her teacher! She was supposed to stay at school for the after-school program (like she does every day). So I don't know if this child was just telling a web of lies or what!!!! I'm really hoping that mother comes over and explains herself to me! I have no problem with helping a poor child, of course, but I just don't want to be taken advantage of (I've seen it happen to a number of friends). Junior Squirrel was bummed this girl couldn't sleep here because he thinks she's cute;) AND, my darling Chatterbox was asking the girl if she knows God and sharing about Him with her!!! Go CB!!! So, if nothing else I guess maybe that little girl was sent here to learn a bit about God from my darling daughter! I was too wrapped up wondering if I call Family Services!!! I'll let you know if I hear anything further about this weirdness!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my word! I can't believe that. How strange!

Anonymous said...

I think that one screams "Add me to your daily prayer list!"
God gives us glimpes into peoples lives when he know we will pray...
Go CB!
Gina

Jamie said...

EXACTLY Gina...she has been on my heart since the incident and we'll all be praying and looking for ways to reach out to both girl and mother!