Sunday, July 15, 2007

Busy-ness mixed with a bit of preaching;)

We have had a busy yet productive weekend. Friday night we went to a 'block party' here in town. A bunch of Baptists from Georgia came down to do 'Backyard Bible Clubs' and other ministry type things down here for a week and to top it off they throw a 'block party'. They had one last year too. We thought we'd get rained out, but the rain let up just in time (it will not stop raining here lately). The kiddos had fun in the jump house and playing some of the games. We didn't stay too long because we had other things going on. I think I got more socializing in than the kids did playing! One of the ladies that was at the Bible Club my kiddos went to came up and talked to us. Turns out we have a lot in common. Both military, homeschooling, quiverfull families. It was nice to meet a like-minded individual and to share my heart with her and have her understand! Too bad they live in Georgia...actually they're moving to Guam! But, we did grab one another's email address. It is always such a blessing to meet people 'of the same mind'.

Zach had a softball game that night. I got the kiddos tucked into bed and all was quiet. Here I was on the computer when I kept hearing this weird noise in the other part of the room (behind me). I heard it twice and looked but nothing was there. All of a sudden the smoke detector says, "Beep". Just a subtle beep. Well, we JUST changed those batteries at 1 AM the other night. What on earth??? It kept saying, "Beep" every minute...then all of a sudden all of the alarms went off! I was SO mad but was glad my kids slept through it! I was sitting here wondering what to do. Usually if you take the battery out they will still go off. I tried to call my neighbor, looked online (where it said to vacuum those out monthly...I've never done that in any house I've lived in, have you?) and just waited for Zach to return home. He puts it back together and all was fine. We're in bed SLEEPING and it starts to go off AGAIN. Stupid thing! Zach got up, took it down, opened the front door and threw it on the ground!!! Took care of that! Now, we just need a new one for this room. So far no more beeps from those annoying things!

Yesterday we were busy working around the house. We've been doing so many odd jobs: planting flowers, touching up paint, replacing lightbulbs, filling in holes. Then last night we baby-sat for one of Zach's co-workers. It was a long day and night!

Our Pastor has the best sermons. It is great when you go to church and get fed by the Word of God and when it applies to your life. Lately that is how its been. I know its not always the case as sometimes we hid road bumps and are stuck in the mud puddles of life and our outlook isn't quite so clear. Today he preached on Genesis 15. One of the things he said was about 'devourers, darkness and delay'. In v. 11 it talks about the birds of prey coming down on the carcasses God told Abraham to bring to Him and how Abraham drove those pesky birds away. It made me think of the recent 'devourers' in our lives. Those who have told us, whether in actions or words, that what we're doing needs more thought, time or prayer. Or that they don't agree with it. It is funny, because this week in my mind I have DRIVEN THEM AWAY. Gone...they are gone. Their opinions don't matter to me any longer. Their words don't hurt. Because I am living for my LORD JESUS and nothing they can say can change the road He has put me on. Can I get an amen? Oops, sorry...just getting a bit charismatic! He also talked about the darkness and the delay. Verse 12 says that Abraham fell into a deep sleep and that a thick and dreadful darkness came over him. That's how I felt earlier in the week. Like I was stuck in this dark ominous cloud and couldn't make my way out of it. But I did. I have overcome the enemy and I see such light like I didn't even see at the beginning of the adoption journey! Then there is the delay. Hmm....because we're adopting doesn't mean we'll get our child TOMORROW. Time goes by and I'm sure often it seems like a LONG time and that we will never see our daughter. But we will.

Well, I have more sorting, cleaning and all that to do and then we're going to play at good ol' McD's with some friends later. Maybe you feel like you are in the darkness or that you're being devoured by others. Remember that HE who is in YOU is GREATER than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).

5 comments:

Risa said...

I'm happy to hear things are going good for you guys.

Our pastor has been speaking on marriage and family this summer. It's been wonderful and great to hear!

Just remember that you said you weren't going to let those negative comments get to you! :) I may have to remind you again though - but hopefully not! Just keep on doing what God wants you to do and leave the details up to him!

Anonymous said...

Maybe all those "negatives" were not necessarily bad things...maybe they were tests to get YOUR mindset in the right place for what you feel called to do! Good for you for finally learning that you have to do what you are called by God to do, regardless of who supports it. Just remember that it IS wise to seek Godly counsel, and that doesnt mean seeking someone to agree with you. It IS wise to stop and consider things. Just like Bro. Mike said today...God did not rebuke Abram for wondering and questioning. Just because someone doesnt "agree" with you, or thinks you should give it more thought isnt wrong of them. It may just be like Abram - some genuine pure wondering. We are human, after all...God will do what HE wants done in HIS time, regardless of what ANYONE thinks, says or does, and that includes you and me. :) Peace!

Choppzs said...

Smoke alarms stink, and housework is going to be coming my way soon as soon as we move into the new house!

AmazingGraceTX said...

I hope you're having a good day.
BTW, that lady you met from Georgia, was her name Stephanie??
TTYS,
Loriann

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ive been out camping and havent read your blog since the end of June. I had alot of catching up to do. Looks like you guys been having fun. I will give you a call someday, maybe weds. as I work and cell works there. Take Care , Tell the kids Auntie Cindy says Hi and she loves them.