Monday, April 21, 2008

Good news or bad?

We really enjoyed the church! Even before we got in the building we were greeted by people- its a small church and they were expecting us! It was such a wonderful welcome! The people were wonderful- even the children coming up and shaking our hands! And it seems our kids made fast friends with other kids! The sermon was wonderful and the Pastor took us to lunch afterward. It was great getting to know he and his family better, especially after I'd been in touch with his wife for a couple of months via email.

We did more house hunting yesterday. One house (16th house down, in Stratford on Dryden) we went to was out in the country on 2.9 acres and was so beautiful on the outside. The inside was decent but needed work- like major paint jobs, new carpeting and a bit of updating in the kitchen. The bathroom had started being completed but wasn't finished. We really considered the house- it was so spacious, but would require work and money. Some of the other houses were ok, but nothing really stood out. There was one in Ames that I really liked. It had a nice sunroom, a nice playroom in the basement and was cute. Zach didn't like it, being an older home and it didn't have quite the number of bathrooms I'd like. Also, two bedrooms were downstairs and I wouldn't have wanted one of the kids down there alone! This one was so cool. Doesn't look old on the outside but on the inside it was so old- natural woodwork, cobblestone type kitchen floor. It was beautiful, but again not Zach's type. Which was okay with me, not sure its 'suitable' for young children to live in! We looked at a bunch of others but none really fit. I was a bit discouraged to say the least.

I haven't been sleeping well, in a strange smaller bed with hardly any room in the bed! Not to mention the stress of not finding something!!! We didn't have much of a game plan today and that concerned me, but we decided to drive back to Ankeny. Zach really likes this house which is being built and should be done sometime in May. I liked it too but thought the kitchen too small- not much cupboard space. So we met with our realtor and the listing agent and looked at it again. We also looked at another floor plan we didn't see the other day. My favorite of them all was this one which had a 'model' we could actually see The only thing different in the one they're building is that it will be 2 full bathrooms upstairs rather than the 'Jack & Jill' bathroom, which will add a bit of square feet. I liked the open floor plan downstairs. There is one of these being built, but they said it wouldn't be done until July!!! But then we found out if they 'sell' it they'll work on it quicker and put aside some of the work on the other houses that aren't sold. It's got the basement poured at this point and that is it!!! But we decided to make an offer on it and pray that it will be done pretty near to the time we move up. Our offer was accepted!!!! I took pictures of the model but of course I forgot my cord at home so I can't post them until we get back. Tomorrow we go to the builders service center to pick out flooring and all that...but we'll probably stick with the standard options as they are very nice.

It is weird that I'm not more excited about it all. I mean I'm very excited but not jumping up and down! I think I'm just so exhausted by it all at this point and it will kick in at some point! It is weird to think we'll be purchasing another home- a brand new one at that! We will have to build a garage at some point and also try to finish at least part of the basement to add more room. We haven't lived in a 3 bedroom home in a long time!!! But there are families larger than ours who live in homes smaller than ours and they manage! So...we have a home!!! Now maybe we can head back to MS sooner and quit spending money on lodging and food!

(I hope this post makes sense. I am tired and hungry and I'm not sure I'm thinking straight! I also have more I want to post about but just can't think straight!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, make sure there is room for me:)

DDanielle said...

I know exactly what you mean by not wanting kids downstairs. I looked at a few houses where there were 2 up and 2 down. I just couldn't do it. Lately we have been seeing advertisements for "First floor Master". I don't want to be on the first and kids up. One just because i don't want to be away. But more importantly....I want all the rooms upstairs so I can just concentrate on keeping the downstairs neat for visitors.
The deal we are working out we would move into a brand new house, and the layouts on new ones are amazing. So happy you got everything figured out!

Anonymous said...

What a whirlwind weekend you've had! I'll bet it will be great to get home and just settle for a bit....before packing up and moving. Glad you found a place...it looks neat...I like the second floor porch.

Melissa said...

Yay, congrats!

Jodie said...

No wonder you're tired - you've been busy! House hunting is exhausting! Congrats on finding a brand new house!! It will be nice not to have to clean anything before you move in there. Brand new fresh everything is worth its weight in gold! Plus you get to pick out your flooring, hardware, lights, etc etc. Yay!

April said...

Congrats on the new home. I have a split level home, and hate that my babies are on another level. I still use a baby monitor and they are 6 and almost 5. It makes me feel like they are a little closer. I would never buy a split level now...although I'm sure I'll like it when they are in their teens! :-)

Anonymous said...

What Fun!
Happy Hunting!
Gina