Monday, April 14, 2008

Hodge Podge

Last night was our last night teaching Cubbies since we won't be here this coming Sunday. I have to admit that while there I was relieved it was my last time. I had a splitting headache (which I've been getting every day) and I had a child who disobeyed me many times that I was not happy with. But I will really miss those kids! They've grown on me- especially the girls I've had the last two years. As I watched them playing games I wondered what they'd be like 4 years from now. Would they even remember Ms. Jamie and Mr. Zach? Well, they'd probably remember Mr. Zach, they love him! He had the privilege of dressing up in the Cubbie costume last night and I think he got a kick out of it! The kids sure loved it.

Today was definitely a Monday. Loads of laundry piled high. School to crack down on. We did go out and play with friends at the Golden Arches though and that was fun! I just can't wait until this month is over! I'm trying to do school with the kids and get things ready for our trip to Iowa, making sure I don't forget whatever important papers I will need for this or that. Oh, and then the disobedience from my children...it about drove me nuts. The one that was the worst today is still up, although he should be sleeping with his daddy- I REALLY could use a break from him!

Speaking of Iowa, we did find a house we like but its about 20-30 minutes from Ames. Which is okay. Zach would rather live in a nice house we can afford and drive that distance than live in a dumpy house. Me too, of course (though I don't have the commute). Zach loves this house but I'm having second thoughts on some things. It's only 3 bedroom (but most are), it doesn't have a garage (I don't think, and I think that's important in the elements of Iowa), and from looking online it doesn't seem like there is much storage space (essential for a homeschool mom). I know it will all work out though! It is beautiful...if only we can get a finished basement and garage added;) Did I mention it is brand new? I'd post the link but I don't want to...I just want to wait and see what we come up with later in the week and then I'll show you. I've got a list of about 20 houses to possibly see! Is that too much??? I think I have too much time on my hands!

Hormones, hormones...I've experienced them well today. Cried twice today at the drop of a hat! Not to mention my spells of getting rather upset with these children, namely the one jumping all over the floor as I type. I guess maybe I should head to bed so I no longer have to deal with it...but I really prefer some quiet not being in my bed! And the back pain lately has been awful! Not sure how I'll survive the 16 hours to Iowa!!! HELP!

8 comments:

Risa said...

Have you ever seen Super Nanny and how she deals with bedtime issues? She says to make a set bedtime routine and time and stick to it. She says that you speak to the child the first 3 times they get out of bed (reassuring your love and the necessity of bedtime, etc.) but after that you just have to keep taking them back up to bed without giving them any attention except to carry them if necessary. Don't reprimand, talk, or otherwise engage the child. They have shown it working more than once on her show (yes, I realize that TV isn't all real...) where kids who won't go to sleep until after 10 go to sleep within about 45 minutes after bedtime. I know it's hard as a parent to hear the kids cry or it's easier to just let them have their way but in the long run it will be better not only for your sanity but theirs as well! LOL The parents that used her method seem to be pleased with the results and are amazed that it works as well as it did. I'll bet you can even have him sleeping in his own bed if you tried this! :) Persistence pays off! :)

DDanielle said...

Sounds like your "worst one" is been like our "worst one". If it helps you feel any better, it makes me feel better to know a more experienced mom is having the same trouble.
I want to see what Super Nanny does with a kid who screams but doesn't get out of bed. Daniel can seriously scream for hours without stopping. I would love to use Super Nanny's tricks but what do you do when a kid just screams for hours?
On your housing stuff, it sounds like you are weighing out the positives and negatives logically. It is so hard to feel right about any decision in this housing market. If all works out well and we finally get an offer we are moving into a brand new house. While that is great....we are so unsettled about knowing if the value of the houses are going to continue to drop.
If you can get a garage built maybe you can add on a workspace for homeschooling. It might be neat for the kids to have to "leave" the house to homeschool;-)

Jodie said...

Bedtime is rough - hopefully you'll figure out something that will work for you. Remember, you're the parent - and you desperately need your zzzs if you're going to be a good one! Hugs! And have a good trip - I can't wait to see what you end up with. :)

paige said...

Jamie ~ sitting in the car with backpain? My solution was sitting with my fist digging into my back... ummm ya... not many good suggestions here.
Just came by to check on your floating baby!!

Amie said...

Sounds like you will have a very bush trip in Iowa! That's a lot of houses to see.

Choppzs said...

Good luck with your househunting!! I know it sucks to drive that long, and with backpain, but maybe finding your dream house will cheer you up! lol

Anonymous said...

May God give you traveling mercies and pain free travel!
Put it in his hands and he will put you in just the right place:)
Gina

Anonymous said...

I like Gina's comment. Very wise. Mom