Thursday, August 07, 2008

my vacation

I had a vacation yesterday and it felt good. Where to? The hospital! I was so sick of dealing with the pain that I finally called the doctor. My doctor wasn't in, which is a good thing (I don't like her) and the one on call said to come in to be observed and get checked out. Well, in addition to everything else it looks like I have a UTI so that could be contributing to all the pain as well. They gave me Percecot for pain and put me on antibiotics. I stayed overnight to make sure the pain meds would work. I didn't see my doctor until this morning and let me tell you I am glad I have to switch doctors (more to come on that). The other two doctors I'd seen while in there were so willing to give me something for the pain. I was crying as I described to them how I couldn't even function. Well, she didn't seem to care and said pain was normal with a stint and I'd have to learn to live with it or get it out. I didn't think she was going to give me pain meds to take home at first!!!! I can understand some pain, but to the point of not being able to do a thing??? She also told me to keep myself busy to distract myself! As if!!!

So, why am I switching doctors (beside the fact she's 'old-school' and rude)? I found out last night that Iowa passed a law and most hospitals no longer do VBAC's. I knew before I moved here that this may happen, but when I was looking for a doctor this wasn't an issue. So, the hospital I've been at (which I really liked) won't do them anymore. I will get referred to a doctor and hospital in Des Moines, which is actually closer to us anyway. I really hate to deal with another new doctor and all the pain in that but I will not have a c-section unless necessary and I am not happy with the current doctor. I see her again Tuesday for my appointment and we'll go over things to transfer me then.

Oh, the hospital has valet parking and room service! I know most people don't like hospitals but I was being taken care of and it felt wonderful. I didn't have to worry about the kids, dinner or things like that. The food was actually good and the nurses wonderful!

On a different note, please check out my SIL's sewing blog. I asked if she'd make a diaper bag for the baby because I really like those styles and she did! I can't say how much I LOVE it!!!! Let's continue to hope its a girl (I had a dream last night that they did an ultrasound and the baby was a boy).

So, I am home now with some drugs to hopefully keep me feeling well. It is amazing that when I take them I feel a whole lot more like myself. It is wonderful! I just hope I don't run out too soon and that she'll give me a refill!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Yay for drugs! I'm sorry you have been in so much pain and your Dr. is unsympathetic! I think it is definitely time to switch Dr.'s . You have enough to do, you don't need to be fighting the Dr. for adequate health care!

Amie said...

Two very good reasons to switch doctors.

Our hospital here has room service too, I loved it every time.

Hope your pain meds help.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you switched doctors.
I am glad you have some releif from all the pain! We have been praying for you and will continue too!

Be Blessed,
Gina

Choppzs said...

That bag is beautiful, I soooo want one!! lol

And I hate it when hospitals and whoever else think they can decide what's best for people. Who are they to say that you can't do natural childbirth after having a C-section? It's ridiculous!

Becca said...

Amie did a beautiful job on the bag...and there's initials....hmmmmm. ;) Guess we'll have to wait til Sept to find out what they stand for.

Glad you're getting relief and you'll have the VBAC option!!
Also sounds like you and your oldest had a successful fun day. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun time (previous post) except for the doctor stuff (this post). I don't know how I'd really act if they pulled that crap on me (refusing VBAC)... but part of me is kind of wishing they'd try, because I wouldn't allow it. I'd tell them to shove it (I know that's not a Christian way of saying it, but that's how strongly I feel about all that nonsense!).