Thursday, August 14, 2008

Whose decision is it, anyway?

I know its becoming more and more common for hospitals not to allow VBACs. Here in Iowa this is a new thing. Apparently somebody in Iowa City has made the decision that only hospitals in Iowa City and Des Moines can offer VBACs to patients. Is it right for one person to make a decision for hundreds if not thousands of women? For me driving to Des Moines is no big deal, but what about for those who live far from these cities and who don't want a repeat cesarean.



I know there are some cases where a cesarean is needed, but more often than not I think it is just unnecessary. It is becoming so commonplace nowadays though, almost the norm. Why is that? Do these doctors just make more money from the insurance companies? Or is there really a need for so many women to have them? And I wonder if its not their way of 'cutting off' women from having so many babies. After all, how many doctors will perform multiple c-sections on one person? I know its been done, but I know they don't recommend it.



With my first baby I wasn't too educated. I simply followed the advice of every doctor. My baby was breech. I was supposed to go in and they were going to try to turn her but she broke my water that morning. I believe it was a God thing. I was really nervous about them pushing here and there but I was at peace with a c-section. Even now I have no regrets about that decision. It was what had to be done. Since then I've had two successful VBACs. So, because I had a c-section over 8 years ago I have somebody telling me I need a repeat one? Is it really their decision?



I know there are risks associated with VBACs. And I'm open to getting a c-section if it is absolutely necessary. But if its for the simple reason that some supposed 'expert' thinks it necessary and they don't know my past medical history, or current for that matter, then I say bologna on that! God designed a woman's body to birth a baby naturally. And that is what I intend to do, with the help of drugs (I just am not Superwoman).

7 comments:

Risa said...

LOL "...with the help of drugs" Nope, it's not easy without - I got to do that with Jozie! And then only a shot with Luke...I survived so I'm sure you would too! LOL :)

Angie said...

For some hospitals in MN I know the reason they do not do VBACs is that they are not equiped to handle such an emergency with Mom and Baby if something were to go wrong. It sucks that they don't have the capability--but I am glad to know they are forthcoming to women.

For me, I would have liked to try a VBAC with Claire, but the Risk that was there was so great. Military student doctors really 'hacked' my insides and outsides up when I had Jacob. With all the complications I had afterwards with him, I was so much at ease knowing my doctor when I had Claire was taking so much added care for me. He requested a general surgeron to be in the OR with us--just in case they got in there and something was wrong. Afterwards, they talked to us and said they took out 4 times more the amount of scar tissue than any woman should have from 1 c-section. It was the safest way to have Claire.

Becca said...

Don't even get me started on this issue, Jamie. ;) I hope you can get your VBAC...and I agree there are waaaay too many c-sections being performed....my view is that they're the result of too much intervention from the start. (Granted there are cases like breech where they're "necessary"....because doctors nowadays simply don't learn how to deliver a breech baby....tho most midwives will and without complications) But anyway...doctors are quick to offer induction (fits their 9-5 schedule a lot better) and once they start the process they expect things to happen within a short time frame or they say the baby is "in distress" (which it very well may be after having been subjected to intense drug induced contractions) and they 'have to do a c-section to save the baby'. If moms would just wait until the time is right instead of rushing in for inductions before or right around their due dates there might be far fewer c-sections. JMHO. I obviously have a lot of problems with maternity care in the US and *wish* I had the option of a midwife/homebirth instead of OBs.

Anyway, like I said....I hope everything goes great for your baby's birth! It's coming up so quick!!

Amie said...

I love how they magnify the one risk of VBAC, and just sort of ignore the many risks of c-sections!

I don't think it's a money issue though, because doctors get paid the same delivery fee regardless of how they deliver.

Mama P said...

One word: Lawsuits. They will not do VBACs and they rarely will do vaginal breech or vaginal twin births because of the enormous risk of being sued if something does go wrong. They dont want the liability, plain and simple. It is also the reason that there has been a recent decline/lack of OBs. The liability insurance for an OB is far greater than most other practices. It also leads to why they rush births and induce and encourage elective c-sections. They have to mass deliver in order to actually make any money.

This Doctor friend that we both have in common...he delivered my friend J's baby last year, and she was really trying for a VBAC. OS doesnt do VBACs either, but he agreed to set a date, but if she went to labor on her own she could stay home until she was in active labor and he'd do a very closely monitored VBAC under the "it's too late for a section now" excuse. If she made it to her section date, then she'd just have to have the section. She prayed about it, and felt peace, and was really excited...but ended up having to have the section anyway. Lo and behold, when Dr.Friendofours opened her up it turns out that had she labored, her uterus would have ruptured and possibly killed both her and baby.

So you see...God does know...and it will work out for you the best way! (Hopefully the way you want)

Mama P said...

Amie...IMO they must get more for a section. My OB's fee(after insurance) for a vag delivery was 2300, and the fee for the section was 4000(cruddy insurance). That was not including what you owe the hospital, either. Sections are statistically 60% more than vaginal deliveries.

I meant to add also...Jamie, you have a LEGAL right to choose what happens with your body, and a hospital has a LEGAL obligation to deliver your baby when you show up in labor. They cant force you to do anything you don't want. :)

momanna98 said...

Wow. That is crazy! I hate all the rules hospitals have.