Thursday, July 10, 2008

Grandma Mary




My Grandma Mary passed away Tuesday evening. We'd known she didn't have much longer to live but that doesn't make things any easier. She is my first grandparent to die. When you live away from family sometimes it doesn't seem real that they're gone until you go home to visit. I'm 'glad' that I didn't need to see her suffer and that I could remember her healthy but at the same time I wish I had been there to hold her hand, to see her sweet face, to say good-bye and to let her know how much I loved her. I wish I could hop on home for her funeral but it just isn't feasible. I know my family understands our not being there, but it's still hard that I can't be there with them during this time. I also missed my Aunt Vi's funeral (she's my Great Aunt, my Grandma's sister).


I have the fondest memories of my Grandma. I picture her sitting in her chair watching TV or watching my cousin and I play, with a sweet and content smile on her face. I picture her in her kitchen working hard to provide a delicious meal for everybody, whether it was a holiday, birthday or just a normal day. I can see her sitting at the table playing cards with the rest of the family. I picture her in the backyard, as I played about. When I think of Christmas growing up she is in those thoughts. When I was little we would always spend Christmas at their house. As I got bigger it was Christmas Eve. She loved her family and was devoted to us. Though she could be quite stubborn I simply remember her goodness, kindness and love. I remember her sweet smile. I will miss seeing her when I visit the U.P. Life will not be the same without her. I am thankful that God had provided me with such a sweet, sweet Grandma.
(I'd like to find other pictures of her that are on our normal PC and post them at some point. All of these are from this past Christmas).

12 comments:

Angie said...

Oh Jamie~I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandma Mary. I know how special she is to you and always will be. Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your Grandma. I've lost both my dad's parents. My grandma died when I was 5 and I have only a few memories of her, but my Grandpa died in 2002, and I still miss him when I go home to visit. It is definitely not the same when someone that was always "there" is there no longer.

Amie said...

So sorry for your loss. What a blessing to have your grandparents for so long (I don't have any left).

Kathryn Caldwell said...

Jamie,

I just read your blog and wanted to tell you how sorry I am to hear about your grandmother. It is hard being away from your family when things like this happen. It is never easy. Both my grandmothers are still living, but my grandfathers have both passed away. I miss them greatly but in a strange way sometimes it feels like they are still here, kind of like they are kept alive in my heart with the vivid memories I have, you know? May God give you peace and comfort in His time.

April said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I don't have any grandparents left, and it's really hard. We have not been to the U.P. since my grandmas passed away because it just doesn't feel the same without them. I do need to change this soon though!

Take care!

Melissa said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Jodie said...

Aw. Sad. :(

Elizabeth said...

Losing grandparents is hard- it means we're getting older. My Grandma died in December and it was very hard. I've only got 1 grandparent left.

So sorry for your loss and praying God will comfort you.

Beth said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your Grandma Mary. I know you will miss her terribly. (((Jamie)))

Anna said...

Jamie I'm so sorry for the loss of your Grandma:(

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I am so happy for you that you have all the wonderful memories of your Grandmother and pictures to share! I know it is hard not to be there in the final days, but you are right to want to remember her healthy and vibrant.

I was with my Grandmother in her last days and they were hard, because she was not the same person. I am glad I have all the great memories of better times too.

Cherish them and pass them on to your little ones!

Becca said...

Sorry for your loss, Jamie. Thinking of you...