Tuesday, July 22, 2008

more thrills in our lives

While I was here:



Zach and the kids went through this:





Sunday night I went to bed just fine, despite the thunderstorm outside. A couple of hours later I awoke with the worst back pain. No matter what I did it wouldn't go away and kept getting worse. I had taken Tylenol before I went to bed, was trying heating pads and every position possible. I was in so much pain I was moaning. Zach woke up and suggested I try to sit in the rocking chair so I came downstairs. I knew I needed to get to the hospital but really hated to have to wake him and the kids up to drive all that way again. It was after midnight by this time. The kids were tired from being out late at the hospital Friday night and having a late night Sat. night too. I felt terrible to have to wake them again, but seriously what else was I to do? It really stinks living somewhere where you don't know anybody to sit with your kids in these situations. I know people from church but they all live further from the hospital! I met neighbors but hardly know them to leave my kids with them (or to wake them in the middle of the night).



Anyway, I finally told Zach we'd better head to the hospital again. Good thing I brought a 'puke bucket' because on the way there I got sick. It was miserable. I can't even recall the order of things. They began giving Demerol for the pain and that helped. They said it was a kidney stone and I had to get x-rays to see where it was. There are actually 2 stones in there. Because I am pregnant and because of risks to baby they went ahead and put a J-stent in until after I have the baby. So, my precious baby was exposed to the x-ray, anesthesia, my surgery and who knows what else. I'm very thankful that she is still fine (she's an active one). I was out of it all day yesterday with all the pain meds. I was able to come home yesterday afternoon/evening and just vegged and slept. I'm on meds and I'm still tired. This stint goes from my bladder to my kidney. It is miserable- I feel like I have to pee every single minute. I'm thinking I may ask if we can induce labor a bit early so that I can be rid of this quicker. It would also give us a date on when my mom comes down so we don't have to worry about child care. It's not exactly fun sitting in a hospital alone! But, what can you do, somebody had to stay with the kids!

Anyway, I'm home now and doing ok. For some reason the right side of my back is starting to hurt and that worries me a bit as I hope there aren't stones over there too. I feel like one walking mess lately! I have Tylenol with codeine to take for pain, but with being pregnant and having to watch the three kiddos I am not sure I want to take it!

While I was in the hospital Zach drove home through a terrible storm. I guess it was so bad he eventually pulled over and just began praying. I guess there was lightning in all directions, it was pitch black, windy and rainy. He said he swore he saw a funnel cloud but it was hard to tell because it was so dark. I'm so glad they made it home ok! I had no idea it was that stormy! Apparently at our house the tornado sirens went off and we had like 80 mph winds. Our trampoline blew across the street and is ruined! A screen blew off of a window and our storm gutter is a bit messed up. Our neighbors deck is destroyed. I'm sure I would have been terrified if I'd been here for it all! What is next!?!?!?

10 comments:

Anna said...

Wow that's crazy!! I hope you feel better soon, I can't imagine the pain:(

Emily said...

Wow Jamie, I am sorry to hear that you are going thru all of this. I hope you feel better soon!

Becca said...

Wow! Didn't they check for kidney stones on both sides? Seems like that would have been logical. I hope they got them all. Sheesh, you've been through a lot...but this too shall pass, right? (Just looking for a bright side). I hope you're more comfortable now...how hard to be in so much pain but not feel like you can do much for it for fear of harming your baby.

DDanielle said...

Wow, it will be nice when your mom gets there but I really pray that God sends you someone in the meantime to help out a bit. Chad had a kidney stone once, and he was in pain. I can't imagine having multiple kideny stones while pregnant. That has to be horrible.

April said...

You poor thing. I hope you feel better. BTW, is this a hint that you are having a girl? I wasn't sure if you found out what you were having, but I see all the references to "she" and had to ask. :-)

The same thing happened to our tramp too. It's too bad you don't live closer because we could probably put our two together and make one that works. I guess they have tramp stakes you are supposed to use to prevent this. I wish I would have known about this before ours was destroyed!

PBJCJ said...

Woman, do I have to come out there to take care of you? LOL..you know I would if I could!
Do you remember my friend Katrina (in TX)? She went thru the same thing when she had her last baby. Kidney stones, pain, meds, and all the fun that goes with it. I can't imagine what it feels like, but I do know that she was miserable.
And just remember, that baby girl can tell if you're stressed or worried, so try to take as much of the medication that you feel comfortable with so your body can recover and grow that little one safely:) I will be praying for you all.
Love you!

Risa said...

Ugh! I just talked to Grandma and she's worried about you - AGAIN! :) She always asks me about you when I talk to her - but I'm sure she gets more from your mom than me! :)

I'll be praying for you guys that you'll get better soon! Love you lots! :)

Beth said...

WOW, that is crazy, Jamie! I hope you are feeling better. I'm glad everyone is ok with your precious babe! Thankful for the safety of your family and your home. (((HUGS)))

momanna98 said...

OH no! How awful. I hope time flies by for you.

Jodie said...

Geez!! What a nightmare. You poor poor thing!! Your poor poor family too. Wow! I pray things get better soon.