Thursday, July 17, 2008

Homeschooling in Iowa

Yesterday I met with a lady from a local Christian homeschool group to gain more info about the group and how to homeschool here. In Mississippi things were so simple as far as homeschooling, and while Iowa isn't difficult compared to many states it takes some getting used to for me. And there are like three different options here. It was nice to meet a fellow homeschooler in my area and I hope to make their first meeting to get to meet others. There are many groups around this area but this one seems to be the one nearest to us.

Today I contacted a lady to be our 'supervising teacher'. She will be new to being a supervising teacher this year and is currently a 3rd grade teacher in another school district. The 'route' I chose to go was to have a 'supervising teacher' that you meet with x amount of times through the year. I meet her on Tuesday so hopefully we hit it off and it will be as easy as that! My initial fear was that we'd have to be scrutinized under the public school system's eye, but that isn't the case at all. It's great that a fellow Christian who supports homeschooling can be found to help us out!

Now I just need to get on the ball and order the few items needed for the school year, but I have no idea where I put my list!

3 comments:

Angel at Aduladi' said...

The different states certainly can throw you for a loop! Here in the "nanny state" of PA we have some of the strictest homeschooling rules of all and it is a pain!

Sounds like you will do great!

Risa said...

I've been thinking about what we are going to do for this fall as well...but I wasn't smart enough to write it down last spring so I'm going to have to go back into my memory banks and try to recall that information...this time I will write it down! LOL

Amie said...

The other homeschooling family I know in Iowa chose this route also.