Saturday, July 19, 2008

what a friday night!

My back pain never went away yesterday. At times it was worse than others and no matter what I did it would hurt. Most of the day I spent trying to be comfortable laying on the couch. When Zach came home I just laid on the couch the whole time until he took the boys to see the new Batman movie. I decided maybe if I walked around a bit it would help so Chatterbox and I headed to Wal-mart real quick. I thought maybe with just laying/sitting around it wasn't helping things. But that didn't change anything either. Finally at 9 I decided to call the nurse hotline. I was in SO MUCH PAIN that I didn't know what was going on and I was really worried, having dealt with it all day long and reading about pre-term labor. Zach wasn't home yet and they wanted me to come in to check things out (it's over a 20 minute drive), so I waited for him and felt terrible because the boys were exhausted and here I was dragging them to the hospital (its not like we know anybody here to watch them). And I figured Zach wouldn't be happy about it either, having to drive all the way back to Ames (that's where he works) and running out so late.

And don't you know that it figures that as soon as you call or go to a doctor things start to look better? When I called the nurse line I said my pain was an 8 (I was about in tears). When I got to the hospital it was only maybe a 3. So I laid there and all these thoughts came haunting me of when I was in the hospital with Malachi. Zach had taken the kids to the lounge so it was just me wondering what on earth was going on and feeling terrible for putting my family out of commission, so to speak. I felt like the crappiest mother and like I shouldn't have even called the nurse line. Nothing like pregnancy hormones & emotions to get the best of me...

Thankfully baby is fine as they listened to heartbeat. I had no contractions. When the doctor thumped on my back it hurt terrible right by my kidney. They think I had a kidney stone but passed it before I got there since the pain went away. The doctor said that there are three kinds of '10' pain: a heart attack, labor and a kidney stone. No wonder I felt so miserable. Only thing is my urine came back with not much blood in it so he can't be sure that's what it was. And I had bacteria in it so on antibiotics I go to take care of any infection. I feel 100% better than I did yesterday though. That back pain was like no other I've had (and I've had quite some back pain before) and add to it feeling nauseous and yuck and it was one miserable day! Praise God I'm feeling better and that my baby is doing just fine!

12 comments:

Angie said...

Holy Crap Jamie!!!
I am so glad you went in to the doctor--no matter how late it is. I hope you keeping feeling better!

Mama P said...

Oh yep...that sounds exactly like a kidney stone. It doesnt have to be a huge one to hurt that bad either. I hope that's all it was and you wont have any more problems!

Beth said...

WOW! I'm glad you decided to go into the Dr...even if for reassurance if nothing else. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I agree that is sounds like a kidney stone. I had one when I was about 5 months pregnant with Carisa and it was awful pain. Just a note of caution. My pain subsided as well (I was already admitted to the hospital when that happened), more than likely because I passed a bit of the stone, but it came back while I was still there. So if you feel it again, do not hesitate to call if you need to!!

Praying for you!

Risa said...

What a time to get a kidney stone! At least you are feeling better now and the trip to the Dr. was well worth it! :)

Anna said...

Wow how terrible:( Good thing you went in, glad you're feeling better and baby is fine:)

DDanielle said...

Good thing you went in. So glad you are feeling better. Praying all goes smoothly from here on out.

Becca said...

Sheesh, you've had a rough time of it....moving, pregnancy and now this on top of it all...hurry up September, huh? ;)

Jodie said...

Yikes - you sure do see your fair share of pregnancy drama!!! Glad everything is better now! Loved the pics below! And also the pics of the belly. :)

Amie said...

If the kidney stone is passed, I hope that means the back pain is gone.

Christine said...

I am so glad all of that is over. That sounds just terrible. Supposedly, a kidney stone is more painful than labor, according to a friend who has had both. Praying for you!

Choppzs said...

Ick, sounds awful! I'm glad you are feeling better and baby is doing well!