Friday, November 07, 2008

Our long week is over

I shouldn't say that, next week will probably be even longer with Zach gone! It has been a LONG week and I'm so glad school is over for the week. Although now I'm listening to Junior Squirrel bug me about holding Sweet Pea while Chatterbox and Booty Shaker destroy the boy's room. Such fun! Oh, and outside it is windy and snowflakes are falling, though they have yet to stick to the ground. Around 10 this morning we'd just started singing some praise songs and I noticed snow falling! I jumped up and ran to the back door, exclaiming to the kids, "It's SNOWING guys!" They came running and didn't quite understand how it could be snowing if it wasn't on the ground. And CB thought they should look like huge gigantic flakes;) The naiveness of a child growing up in the south;)


I must say I got quite a bit of comments on my last post;) I just decided to let well enough be...I'd stated my thoughts. I had told Zach about it and he kinda disgustedly asked why I always stir up trouble on my blog! That is not my intent at all...as you can see I have readers and friends with all different thoughts and views! And I will leave it at that! I hope I didn't lose any of you as readers;)

We didn't do a whole lot of 'fun' projects this week. Time just never seemed to allow it to happen that way. I don't know why this week seemed so long...some days we were still doing school at 4 pm! I keep telling myself I'll get up earlier and begin our day earlier but I never do and we normally don't begin until around 10.

I bought and finished in no time at all the book by Todd Wilson called Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe. It was very, very good and insightful. At our last homeschool meeting last month we had talked about one of the truths. It really hit me then as it did when I read the book.

"Your children will become exactly what God has created them to be, NOT because of your efforts, but IN SPITE of your efforts...They become what they become because that's what God created them to be...You are not responsible to make your child something they are not."

Remember I'd said about CB's trouble with writing? Well, this really hit me:

"Mom, you're fighting a losing battle. Sometimes the reason your children don't 'get it' is because they weren't created to get it...easily."

Whoa, what a slap in the face! I mean why can't I give her more ideas? I guess because I feel like I'll be telling her what to write, but maybe if I give hr ideas eventually she'll get it on her own!?! Or with JS. Last year he LOVED math. This year he groans about it and it takes him
f-o-r-e-v-e-r! Well just this morning it hit me...why can't I sit next to him while he does it and do it with him, rather than expecting him to just do it alone? I guess because I like when they can work independently a bit too...after all I am teaching them all and feel like I can't hold everybody's hand all the time!

This is a great book, even for those who don't homeschool. So many people think "I could NEVER do that" and give said number of reasons. Well, if you ever feel that way you should read the book! It is nice to know I'm not alone in my thoughts and struggles as a homeschool mom.


7 comments:

DDanielle said...

Hey you didn't lose me lol. I somehow am still just neutral as ever on so many issues. I loved that point about not children becoming who they are IN SPITE of our efforts. It can apply so many places. I have been thinking about stuff like that lately, more along the "love languages" line but similar still.
I will have to remember that book (or duh start of list of books to read would be wise). It sounds good.
Until we have better financial footing, I cant consider homeschooling. However I admire families who do. You do the right thing and still have to defend yourselves all the time.

Choppzs said...

In no way have you lost me either! lol Actually, I wasn't even directing my comments toward you, just my questions in the beginning. Sometimes we need to stir things up just to realize where our beliefs and opinions lie and make us think a little more! :)

Becca said...

You and your kiddos are going to have so muhc fun in the snow this year....it's supposed to be a good year for snow...lots and lots of it! I hope you get a white Christmas to enjoy, your first in Iowa!

Me said...

Yah I got quite the chuckle over the chaos w/ the last post. It just goes w/o saying that we should all just agree to disagree on certain things :)

Mama P said...

Where else would I get my intelligent debating if it werent for your blog, Jamie! ;)

I agree...sometimes it is very good to disagree or banter back and forth to make you consider your own thoughts on things, and be able to renew your faith in what you believe.

Thanks for the book idea! I have a friend who just decided to start homeschooling and was thinking about getting her a little something.

Shari said...

I feel the same way in school with some of the kids we have. I just don't get that they don't understand I have other things to do and can't hold their hand while they do it. And then there are some that just want that for the attention. Very hard.

Christine said...

What an encouraging post. Thank you, Jamie!