Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Backwoods of Mississippi

Please note that it is NOT my intention to OFFEND anybody. This is all written in good, clean fun. There are also goofy, off-the-wall sites where I'm from, so please don't take offense!



One day we were taking a drive. Zach was trying to find a co-workers house. We were in our 'town' which is the 'sticks' if you ask me! We called OnStar to get directions to this house and the closest they could get was to a 'Bilbo Rd' 11 miles out. We figured that wasn't right but we headed that way anyway. I had my camera with me because we also planned to head to the park and I wanted to get some pictures of the kiddos. On our way to Bilbo Rd. we saw this sign:

When I first read it I begin to crack up. My initial thought was "WHAT on EARTH is a BOAR-GOAT???" It wasn't until we passed it that I realized they must have meant boar & goat...I think. We had a good laugh on that one (and maybe its just us, it may not be funny to you;)).

Once on Bilbo Rd. we saw nothing. Finally we saw a few houses scattered. We realized this was not the right way but drove a bit further and saw this:



Not something I expected to see, but rather neat.

As we drove back to civilization we saw this 'house' that Zach wanted me to get a picture of... What I didn't get was the other half of the house!


Then we saw this sign:



It says Lake O Pines/Spring Lake. I didn't know there was a lake way out here so wanted to see what it consisted of. Growing up near Lake Superior there isn't much that is 'lake' quality down in the south. It's more like a pond! By this point we were pretty goofy (and bored) and wondering what other 'weird' things we could snap pictures of. No sooner we came upon the lake:


That is what Mississippians consider a lake folks! Sad! What would they do if they ventured to our beautiful Great Lakes? Actually this really isn't the lake...but the 'lake' looked like a boggy pond.

When driving to the beach we passed a man riding his bicycle on the big bridge to get to the island. On the back of his bike he had a real DOG (and it looked like a makeshift seat for the dog). I don't know how this poor pup stayed on the bike! What a site!

We also saw this truck in Mississippi that had writing all over it. Not on the windows, but on the body of the whole truck. Writing in marker! Something about taking one drug will make you a drug addict and I didn't catch the rest. The entire truck was covered with writing. It was bizarre!

Here are some pictures from the park from that day:


4 comments:

Jodie said...

LOL It sure is different down there... I can definitely vouch for that!

paige said...

jamie, your blog rocks, but why don't you have enough pics of the momma?? i wanna see your little belly!!!

Risa said...

I was wondering what a boar-goat was too! LOL

jljdcraig4 said...

You've never heard of the elusive Mississippi Boar-Goat? Whassa' matter w/you? j/k :-) ------ I would've had to get out and ask some questions had I seen that sign.

I was feeling a bit homesick for MS.......thanks for helping me to get over that. lol :-)

I'm praying for everything to go remarkably smooth for you w/this move------You will not believe how fast two weeks will go. Before you know it, you'll be in your new house in Iowa thinking "How did I get here?"

Blessings,
Lynn