Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Do You Ever...



  • Wonder who that person is on the other end of the phone? The insurance agent, the technical support guy, who are they? They sound nice, but maybe they're really some guy with a huge beer gut smoking his pipe! Or an ex-con!

  • Feel like you are still a kid? As I'm dealing with this insurance stuff with the accident I keep thinking how its adult stuff...how am I capable of dealing with it? I'm just a kid! Oh wait, not anymore...

  • Question how a 6 year old boy can make more of a mess with food than his 3 year old brother? I swear my 6 year old needs a bib and needs us to spoon feed him!

  • Wonder how many people actually read your blog? I have had so many requests from people I never knew read my blog! It is amazing! I feel so loved;)

  • Dream such strange things you have no idea where that came from?

  • Wonder how many people you really know? Like how many people have you actually met in your lifetime? I bet we'd be astonished!

  • Wish you lived in a different time period? At times I wish that I grew up in colonial days. I sure love my appliances and electricity, but what would it really be like to live back then?

  • Wonder why our gas prices have to be so stinkin' high and why we don't utilize our own resources that we have in the U.S.?

  • Wonder how people could have such evil in their hearts? I can't even imagine how people can kill their children or molest them. I can't fathom how people who know they have AIDS will purposely sleep with another to spread the disease. This is something I read about in my latest book (on my reading list) and it just baffles me.

  • Wonder why its called a hot dog? Wonder why its called pumpernickel? What does M&M stand for?

7 comments:

DDanielle said...

Imagine what the other person looks like
Kind of, but I don't wonder to much because I kind of know. I work for a call center so I just imagine some poor soul who spent all that money on college and can only find a job answering phones. Also their only joy in life is to pester those that manage the all center;-)

Feel like you are still a kid
YES! I ALWAYS still feel like a kid. Especially when it comes to dealing with "adult" stuff like insurance, or sometimes around other parents even if their kid(s) are younger than Daniel I just feel like a kid still.

Wonder how many people you know?
Yes I do, I also get sad thinking about people I will probably never see again. I'm not talking about significant people like grandparents, but like the guy who say behind you in English 101, or the girl who you worked with at your first job.

Wish you lived in a different time period?
I am with you I always wanted to live in Colonial or Pioneer days. PBS had a few series on how it was to actually live in those days, and it was HARD....but I still would like to try it.
Gas Prices?
Yes, it hits us up here in Detroit especially hard. People don't want to buy the gas guzzlers (well duh who would), but our car companies are behind in developing/producing alternatives. So we are paying more at the pump, lossing jobs, and crippling our economy all at once.

Melissa said...

Yes, I've wondered all of the above, almost on a daily basis too! Especially the one about the older kids needing a bib and the littler ones having a clean face.

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

...you got me curious on the M&M thing so I went and looked it up and this is what it said:

Mars & Murray (or Murrie)
M&M's, one of the most popular candies in the United States, were originally an import from England called Smarties. Forrest Mars Sr. saw soldiers during the Spanish Civil War eating chocolate pellets that were coated in sugar to prevent chocolate from sticking to their fingers. After the rights were purchased by Americans Forrest Mars Sr. and R. Bruce Murrie in 1939, they had to reintroduce them to the domestic market with a different name because there was already a candy product sold in the U.S. under the name Smarties. To identify their new brand, they combined the first initials of their last names: M & M. M&M's were first sold in the United States in 1941. By World War II, American soldiers were given the candy by the United States Army because they were a convenient snack that traveled well in any climate; soon after this it was marketed to the public. M&M's soon became a hit because, in those times when air conditioning was not usually found in stores, homes, or the automobile, melting chocolate candy bars were a problem; but with M&M's, the candy's coating kept the chocolate from getting messy. -

TMI? =)

Angel at Aduladi' said...

I am laughing at Becca because I did the EXACT same thing! I knew it was Mars & someone, but could not remember who!

Rock on Becca!

Jodie said...

LOL I wonder about a lot of those things too. Fortunately wiki has an almost answer to the hotdog question:

According to a popular myth, the use of the complete phrase "hot dog" in reference to sausage was coined by the newspaper cartoonist Thomas Aloysius "TAD" Dorgan around 1900 in a cartoon recording the sale of hot dogs during a New York Giants baseball game at the Polo Grounds.[10] However, TAD's earliest usage of "hot dog" was not in reference to a baseball game at the Polo Grounds, but to a bicycle race at Madison Square Garden, in the The New York Evening Journal [December 12, 1906], by which time the term "hot dog" in reference to sausage was already in use.[11][10] In addition, no copy of the apocryphal cartoon has ever been found.[12]

The earliest usage of "hot dog" in clear reference to sausage found by Barry Popik appeared in the 28 September 1893 edition of The Knoxville Journal.[11]

It was so cool last night that the appearance of overcoats was common, and stoves and grates were again brought into comfortable use. Even the weinerwurst men began preparing to get the "hot dogs" ready for sale Saturday night.

—28 September 1893, Knoxville (TN) Journal, "The [sic] Wore Overcoats," pg. 5

Another early use of the complete phrase "hot dog" in reference to sausage appeared on page 4 of the October 19, 1895 issue of The Yale Record: "they contentedly munched hot dogs during the whole service

Amie said...

There are so many time periods I would love to "sample", but not necessarily stay in.