Thursday, May 08, 2008

Shhhhh

I've been keeping secrets! I think I mentioned how Zach wanted to find out the sex of the baby, but that I didn't want to know. Well, I'd come up with this great idea. The other night I bought some baby clothes- some pink and some blue. I have been busy writing poems, a boy one and a girl one. All unbeknownst to Zach.

For some weird reason they don't allow your spouse in for most of the ultrasound. So I thought I'd go in and tell them my plan. I figured I'd find out the sex and ask them to tell him that we weren't able to tell, or whatever they were comfortable saying. I figured I'd get an ultrasound picture of the 'parts', put it in the card with the poem and deliver the bag with either pink or blue to him at work after I'd picked up the kiddos. Well, they don't give you pictures of the 'parts'. Weird, huh?

That ultrasound took forever!!! I am so thankful to Lynn for watching my kiddos at McD's (you truly were a life saver). I felt horrible that it took so long and that she was stuck with them, but she is so gracious!

Anyway, (I make stories so long) the baby didn't exactly cooperate. There is a 75-80% chance that it is a certain sex but the baby was holding his/her legs so close together it was difficult to tell. BUT that's a pretty great chance at the same time, so I thought I'd still go ahead with my plan. Zach was a bit disappointed that it didn't work out how he wanted. And I was disappointed because he took the rest of the day off so I couldn't surprise him at work!!!

I brought the gift home and gave it to him. I think he may have been a bit confused when he first read what I wrote in the card. Then he began to overlook the poem I'd written, but I made sure he continued reading! Then I think it finally dawned on him what was going on, especially when he looked in the bag to see the appropriate colored clothes. We're so excited and still in shock about it!!! Wanna know what it is??? Too bad, I can't spill the beans at this point...you can thank my Mom for that:) But I'm sure some of you will find out here and there.

I'll leave you with the poems I wrote. The order I put them on does not mean anything, it was a matter that I wrote the boy one first.

Mud and dirt
Trucks and cars
Broken bones and memorable scars

Cowboys and Indians
Cops and robbers
Fishing trips with worms and bobbers

Little boys who play so rough,
Wrestle, climb and act so tough.

The Lord has added one more to our clan,
From a little babe to a growing man.

We’ll watch him grow so quickly while we strive to raise him in the Lord,
Thankful for the baby boy who will by our family will be adored.

*******************************************

Dresses and tights,
Ribbons & bows
Barbie & Princess shows.

Ballet, piano,
Tea parties & dolls
Trips with Mom to shopping malls.

A baby girl so sweet and small,
Our little princess, our baby doll.

The Lord has blessed with another daughter,
Who’s been lovingly created by the Master Potter.

We’ll bring her up in the ways of the Lord,
While we strive to give unconditional love, outpoured.

We’re thankful for the new life given,
A treasure that’s come straight from heaven.

If you had to guess, what would you say? Boy or girl?

**Update- I should make it clear that we'd be excited whether girl or boy! We're just so blessed and excited to be having another baby! Also, I go to the doctor's at a military base...need I say more? And the position of the baby wasn't ideal for either boy or girl.

14 comments:

Amie said...

Well, since your in shock, I guess girl? Also, usually boys ultrasounds are more definite.

Anonymous said...

If I had to guess, I'd say girl, since they aren't as obvious as boys.
Their ultrasound policies are very odd. My husband can be there for anything, and we get pictures of everything.....any place my friends go is the same, so I wonder why they decided to make those rules.

Becky Avella said...

That really is a weird policy for ultrasounds. I'm sorry it didn't all work out like you were hoping.

I was going to guess boy at first, but changed my mind to girl. In our case, we couldn't tell at first for both of our girls, but the boy parts were VERY obvious this time.

I'm excited to find out!

: ) Becky

Christine said...

I am guessing girl because of being shocked. You are very creative, Jamie!

Melissa said...

Great poems and a very neat idea. I am guessing girl too!

Risa said...

What cute poems! :) I would have to leave my vote for a girl as well, because of your surprise! :)

We'll have to see what Becca guesses though, and then we can assume the opposite! LOL

missy said...

no guesses, but I totally get what you mean about being seen by military doctors on base. You get bare bones by US standards, although I have learned not to complain about it now that I am more aware of how bad it is in other parts of the world.
Missy

Jodie said...

Good work on the poems and the whole surprise idea. I bet its a girl too because you said you were in shock about it. :) Don't think you'd be that shocked if it was another boy. I bet I know one little girl who will be happy if she gets a siste!

Anonymous said...

Yea, she spilled the beans - I knew she would slip up - that is one reason I didn't want her to find out. They just can not keep secrets. I almost asked Princess about it but thought not. Now I won't be surprised because I think it is a girl too! So I guess she can tell you all now so you won't have to keep guessing. Mom

momanna98 said...

AHHHH!!! What is it?!?!?! What cute poems and a cute idea. I have pics of my number 2's "parts". He was in no way shy. ;-) Ultrasound rules vary from place to place and from year to year. It's crazy. I always thought boys were very obvious, but my SIL had a girl and her tech said it was very obvious. Someone at my church just had a boy and they were told it was a girl. :-o But I think it's rare that they are wrong.

DDanielle said...

Man I can't imagine not letting the husband in (not enough room). I like that you are keeping it a semi secret. I don't have that much restraint LOL! Cute poems!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, halfway there already?! It seems like you just found out.. I am so excited for you!

mamazee said...

i love your poems, Jamie! and i'm excited for you!
Congratulations! i know either will be a sweet addition :)

Anonymous said...

Risa - LOL! I would have guessed boy....except for the "still in shock" comment....a girl for sure...but then she spilled the beans so it is already known. =)