Thursday, March 19, 2009

accountability

While at the park with my friend Emily the other day we got to talking spiritual matters. It was so nice to have somebody so open and down-to-earth to talk with! Sometimes we get so caught up talking with our friends about our kids or homeschooling, our week or food that we often forget to get to what really matters- our spiritual walk. So it was a huge encouragement when somehow the subject arose. I have such a hard time getting into the Word. I can sit and read a book no problem. But why is the Word, which is to be the most important book to a Christian, so hard for me to get into??? Emily said she has an accountability 'partner', where they read the same chapter of scripture and email one another what verse stuck out to them and thoughts on it. She asked if I wanted to do it also. I jumped on that! I knew I needed to get back into God's Word. This would kick me in the pants to do just that. So the past few nights before bed I've been reading Romans. Wow, what a book to start with after neglecting God's Word for so long! I love the book of Romans! I love what God is showing me! So often I listen to the great deceiver and I'm deceived into believing I'll never break free from my sins, that I'll never amount to anything, that I'm just not good enough for God. BUT even in my sin God's GRACE is greater! I SO want to break free from the sins I feel bound in. Emily, if you're reading this, thank you for allowing God to use you to get me back in the Word, back to following God!

1 comment:

Amie said...

I used to have a rule (which I should probably invoke again) where I did not let myself read anything until I read from the Bible first.