Monday, September 15, 2008

Are you REALLY a doctor???

That was the question floating through my head today. I had my x-ray and appointment today. It all worked out- Zach was able to take some time off of work and help with the kids. He did have to leave early. I waited 50 minutes in the waiting room before I finally realized it had been THAT long and went up to the desk to see what was going on. I was SO frustrated by that point! Finally they took me back, not apologizing or giving an explanation of why I had to wait. Anyway, the doctor came in carrying his laptop (apparently it has patients info on it). You would think he'd have looked at my info a bit before stepping in but I don't think he really had much of a clue. He looked at the x-ray and said I had two stones in my kidney!!! I couldn't believe it! Was it possible to grow two pretty good sized stones in such a short period of time? He told me he only shocked the one stone in my ureter, but when I questioned him further he looked at the records and realized he did indeed shock both. Duh! So I was floored as to how two stones could already develop or how they weren't noticed with my CAT scan or anything. Upon looking further he asked if I took any pills...uh yeah, a prenatal, iron and I'm STILL taking the anti-biotic you told me to finish! SO, it may be pills he was seeing on the x-ray. Though he can't be certain!?!? He's going to be gone for a month or two but said if I develop any pain to go to the ER. When he originally thought they were stones he said I had the option to get them shocked or to leave them alone until/if they became bothersome. I don't have to see him again and he mentioned getting an x-ray in a year to check on things. So, I'm assuming it was pills he and I were seeing and NOT stones. Thankfully! I walked away wondering what kind of doctor 'shocked' my kidney!!! Scary!

1 comment:

Kim said...

WOW! I can't believe that DR. Although I had some Dr's like that before with the kids. You wonder where they got their education, and why they even have their job. That is definitley scary to have a Dr working on you and they're unsure of what they did or what they are looking at. I pray that those stones are gone. I sure don't want you to have to go through that pain again.